This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Connector
Can anyone help with my survey?

Do you like buying t-shirts? Then I would appreciate it greatly if you could spend just 5 mins just filling out a short survey I have created as part of my market research. Discount vouchers available to everyone who fills it in (once I launch!)

http://FreeOnlineSurveys.com/renders...kxjaaqd6941879

I've joined the Princes Trust Enterprise Programme and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who is unemployed and wants to start a business!!

Thank you!!

Emma.

Brave & The Bold Apparel: An independent urban clothing line from Newcastle.
Connector
Thanks to those who have filled out my survey...

Can anyone else help?

Thanks,

Emma.
Connector
Hi there,

I answered your survey. I just wanted to make a couple of suggestions for your next survey -

try to make your 1 - 5 answers a little easier to answer - eg - the question about how important it is for a company to be ethical I can choose Incredibly/Very or not at all.... I consider it to be important but I don't think I have a choice in there, I went for very...

Another thing is you should try to use your survey to sort out the people who answer it. Using cross checking features of digital surveys means you get better market research - the hard work is getting people to answer your survey not making the survey itself, so it's worth putting in extra effort at the start.

If you asked the age question at the start, along with some other 'qualifying' questions, you could sort your data out a lot easier.

Age, interest in organic things in general, interest in organic clothing, importance of ethics, importance of ethics in clothing.. You can then use this information in your market research:

"I asked 1000 people between the age of 22 - 30 from Edinburgh their views on organic clothing. Of those 1000 people 60% prefer to buy organic items, such as food. Of those 600 50% would immediately consider organic clothing. Of the 40% who don't buy organic food only 1% would buy organic clothing..."

This information could be derived with simple changes to your survey.
My driving lessons website
UK Driving Theory Test iPhone App
My Theory Test & Hazard Perception App
Facebook | The Learner Driver Blog
Maven
I tried to fill in the form, but it refused to allow me to submit, citing an error in a field - even though that field was correctly filled in.

My comment would be that you need to get some really sharp, good designs and designers for your items. T-shirts particularly so. Maybe Central St Martins students, or Chelsea etc. Or perhaps get some really interesting but relevant designs done from overseas.

Either way, you need to have a really sharp USP to start with. Then your PR and marketing will fall out from that (and make SEO much easier if shopping on the net).

I struggle to see how you'll get a good point of sale explanation in a retail environment about the benefits of organic t-shirts and underwear. On a market stall, or over the net, then it becomes different, and easier.

What are the benefits by the way (other than the usual Fair Trade arguments)?

Good luck!

www.nationalfitnessdirectory.com

Britain's fitness directory
  • Fitness news and reviews
  • Massive health and fitness forum
  • Find your local personal trainer
  • Events and special offers
Connector
Thanks to everyone who has provided suggestions. I'll take them on board for my next survey.

Sainte - It's actually amazing how many people have no clue about the benefits of using organic cotton. Someone said that they're not eating it so what difference does it make! In brief:

• There is about 25 million tonnes of conventional cotton farmed every year. It uses 25% of the worlds insecticides and 10% of the worlds pesticides every year (thus using more chemicals per unit than any other crop in the world).
  • The chemicals used in conventional cotton polutes the air, water and people.
  • More than 70 field workers die everyday (majority under the age of 14) from insecticide/pesticides and 80 die in the warehouse from polluted cotton.
  • In India it is estimated that 450,000 children are put to work free of charge in cotton farms to pay off debt.
  • Working conditions in cotton farms are some of the worst in the world (corporal punishment and abuse).
  • Recent research has found that chemical residue remains in the garment and can lead to conditions such as neurodermatitis.
Benefits:

• In Organic cotton cultivation only organic herb mixtures, crop rotation and natural enemies are used in fighting pests.
  • Organic cotton farmers have a healthy work environment. The cultivation of the fields is sustainable. Organic cotton production and the people:
  • No secondary damage for factory workers in organic cotton production
  • Child and forced labour and slavery work are forbidden in organic cotton productio.
  • Consumers of organic cotton textiles are safe from skin irritations.
(Data from World Health Organisation)

I'm a designer by trade and have been designing for other textile companies for a while. My market is a little different(I obviously don't want to divulge too much).

If any one else would like to help with the survey it would be greatly appreciated.

Emma
Connector
Thanks to everyone who has provided suggestions. I'll take them on board for my next survey.

Sainte - It's actually amazing how many people have no clue about the benefits of using organic cotton. Someone said that they're not eating it so what difference does it make! In brief:

• There is about 25 million tonnes of conventional cotton farmed every year. It uses 25% of the worlds insecticides and 10% of the worlds pesticides every year (thus using more chemicals per unit than any other crop in the world).
  • The chemicals used in conventional cotton polutes the air, water and people.
  • More than 70 field workers die everyday (majority under the age of 14) from insecticide/pesticides and 80 die in the warehouse from polluted cotton.
  • In India it is estimated that 450,000 children are put to work free of charge in cotton farms to pay off debt.
  • Working conditions in cotton farms are some of the worst in the world (corporal punishment and abuse).
  • Recent research has found that chemical residue remains in the garment and can lead to conditions such as neurodermatitis.
Benefits:

• In Organic cotton cultivation only organic herb mixtures, crop rotation and natural enemies are used in fighting pests.
  • Organic cotton farmers have a healthy work environment. The cultivation of the fields is sustainable.
  • No secondary damage for factory workers in organic cotton production
  • Child and forced labour and slavery work are forbidden in organic cotton productio.
  • Consumers of organic cotton textiles are safe from skin irritations.
(Data from World Health Organisation)

I'm a designer by trade and have been designing for other textile companies for a while. My market is a little different(I obviously don't want to divulge too much).

If any one else would like to help with the survey it would be greatly appreciated.

Emma
Connector
Hi Emma, glad I was able to help you out. It was me that said I'm not going to be eating it ;-)

You're amazed at how little people know about the benefits of organic cotton - yet your survey reads like it was written for people who regularly think about the problems in the world that lead up to 80 people dying from the pollutants each day.

Qualifying statements at the start of a survey are incredibly useful. For instance, I wrote a survey for driving instructors and posed the question "Would you be willing to pay for xxxxx?" and the following question was about the value of the product, eg, "What is a new learner driver pupil lead worth to you?" etc.

I was able to delve into the information that I got back from the survey, working out the perceived value of my product not only to the average customer but also to the customers who are willing to pay. Later in the survey I asked about how many new pupils the instructors could fit in their diary - allowing me to see the shift in the value of the product depending on the need for it. etc etc etc etc

The information you provided here is eye opening for me, I had no idea that there were so many benefits to organic cotton and not only along the lines of skin irritation.

I have to ask though, why is it t-shirts and underwear that you are focused on? Is this something to do with their proximity to the skin and the reduction in skin irritation with organic cotton? Or is this a business decision to do with the size of the underwear market ?
Connector
Hi Richard,

I have to admit that I cheated greatly for my questionnaire and used a survey template. It's something I hope to rectify with a much more detailed questionnaire. It's also opened my eyes as to how many people don't know even the slightest benefits to using organic so I need to address that in both my next survey and my marketing.

In terms of why have I gone with t-shirts and underwear as these will be my launch products. Having said that, what I'm offering is slightly different to what is already on the market.

I'm writing my business plan now and I'm pitching for funding at the Princes Trust funding panel on the 17th August.

Thanks,

Emma.
Connector
Good stuff. I'll probably change my underwear brand at some point down the line as I am continually surprised by the price of a pair o jockey's at Top Shop and the like where they try to charge £7 a pair but they're not organic or even that well designed as they all look like kids wallpaper!!!

Good luck with the PT panel, they look to see that you have a sound holistic understanding of what you are trying to achieve, first and foremost. Its not about razzle dazzle with them.

As it stands your current survey is interesting but it is not really high quality market research, and as I said its harder to get people to attempt a survey than to write a really good one so you're pounds per hour really should go into making sure you find out what you want to know and make questions to that end.

Great to see you are really enthusiastic and that you're going to keep doing market research, the more the better before you start out and all of this will help with the Prince's Trust etc too.
Done, plz check