This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Smarta 100: Win £10,000 for your business!

Hi guys,

Apologies if this is deemed as self promotion, but I thought the Smarta 100 could be of interest to a lot of you.

We have just launched Smarta 100 2011, where we are looking for Britain's Smartest 100 Small Businesses. Some great prizes on offer including £10,000 for the overall winner!

Do you do what you do really well? If so, you should think about applying. We aren't looking for big businesses. We want the most resourceful, original, exciting and disruptive small businesses in the UK.

See http://www.smarta.com/smarta100 for more information

Smarta Business Builder - Website. Accounts. Professional email. Business planning. Legal documents.

All the tools you need to manage your business, wherever you are. All for just £20 a month.
Connector
Well I've applied. During the process of these applications I often Tracy Chapman singing "baby if I told you the right words, at the right time, you'd be mine..." So much of the application process is just hoping that you are saying the right thing.

For instance, I'm applying on behalf of LPL which is one of those low turn over businesses that is relying on the model, our growth predictions and the person specification to win rather than a track record of sales since I only started trading earlier this year.
My driving lessons website
UK Driving Theory Test iPhone App
My Theory Test & Hazard Perception App
Facebook | The Learner Driver Blog

Last edited by Richard.curran; 14-07-2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Misuse of pronouns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard.curran View Post
Well I've applied. During the process of these applications I often Tracy Chapman singing "baby if I told you the right words, at the right time, you'd be mine..." So much of the application process is just hoping that you are saying the right thing.

For instance, I'm applying on behalf of LPL which is one of those low turn over businesses that is relying on the model, our growth predictions and the person specification to win rather than a track record of sales since I only started trading earlier this year.
LPL looks great! As mentioned, the Smarta100 isn't about big business or past sales. It is about the Smart businesses ,those with big aspirations and companies who do what they do very well (however big or small!)

Smarta Business Builder - Website. Accounts. Professional email. Business planning. Legal documents.

All the tools you need to manage your business, wherever you are. All for just £20 a month.
Connector
Thanks a million, James.

I hope you're getting a lot of interest but with any luck not too many people will apply so I'll have a chance of getting short listed ;-)
Connector
Thanks a million, James.

I hope you're getting a lot of interest but with any luck not too many people will apply so I'll have a chance of getting short listed ;-)
Starting Out
SMARTA 100 looks very interesting!

Has any indication been given on the selection criteria for this competition; is it potential for financial growth, jobs created or less tangible criteria such as entrepreneurial vision?

Gethin.

----------------------------------------------------

Vote for us to win a Grand Ideas Award this month:

TREBOR-TRUSS // PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT RESEARCH

www.trebor-truss.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor-truss View Post
SMARTA 100 looks very interesting!

Has any indication been given on the selection criteria for this competition; is it potential for financial growth, jobs created or less tangible criteria such as entrepreneurial vision?

Gethin.
Hi Gethin,

The Smarta 100 is just looking for smart businesses. The judges will be looking beyond Financials, and will be focusing on those who are doing cool and exciting things. As I have said previously, it is not about how much money you make, but having great ideas and doing things well! Hope that helps! You should definitely enter!

Connector
@ gethin

"We can't all be bio-tech firms" is what I frequently found myself saying when I was on the campaign trail for grants and funding.

I would say that, from what I've read on the Smarta site, that this is about the entrepreneurial mix rather than the enterprise itself.

The selection criteria seems to be about what is Smart(a) about the business, so to speak. The people behind the company could be about to make it big in some tech industry with a billion pound IPO or they could be launching a small business to serve local needs on a small margin. Who would win would be the company (and therefore the people) who are being dynamic, smart and who stand out from the crowd. It's not all about money, there are more than 280, 000 millionaires in the UK alone - its about being Smart(a) :-)
Shell LiveWIRE Team Member
The entry deadline for the Smarta 100 2011 has been extended until Monday 15th August.

See further news on how to enter at http://www.shell-livewire.org/news/smarta-100/

Good luck to those entering!
Connector
Good luck to everyone who entered.
Connector
Indeed, best of luck to you all

Fizz Pop Science is working to become the UKs leading extra curricular science education provider. We want to engage children with the sciences and have them experimenting themselves, leading to new discoveries which we hope will inspire.

Just a quick update.

The Smarta 100 has just been announced, and voting has started for the O2 Smarta 100 Business of the Year.

Some really fantastic entries this year. Congratulations to everyone who made it!

http://www.smarta.com/smarta100