This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Maven
Camtasia newbie - any advice?

Hi everyone,

I've just started using Camtasia for the first time after I read somewhere that YouTube is now the second largest search engine.

Not wanting to miss out on the potential of gaining extra traffic from this channel, I've created my first YouTube video. You can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwGU3...el_video_title

Obviously it's very basic (and a little bit blurred, for some reason - any advice?) but I enjoyed making it, and I'm hoping to use Camtasia to make some other videos for my blog, and perhaps even for one or two other businesses I'm involved with.

Does anyone have any help or advice to offer in terms of improving picture quality and better-utilising the functionality of Camtasia? I've just scratched the surface of Camtasia's capabilities with this video, and I hope to explore them in more detail.

Gav.

Relaxing, revitalising Japanese matcha green tea
Matcha Green Tea
Matcha Green Tea on Facebook
Maven
Thanks for that Gav.

I plan on using Camtasia to record some demonstrations of systems I have implemented. If I learn some things along the way, I'll post them here.

Lewis Bassett | Bassett Providentia Ltd

25% Increase in Revenue in 9 Months
Using Precision Engineered Online
Marketing, or Your Money Back

Find out more »
Maven
Great Lewis. I look forward to watching them

Matcha Green Tea
Connector
Yep - I don't like the auto zooming features so I turn all that OFF to start with and do all my zooming etc Post filming.

Don't move your mouse too fast. Switch off all background programs, Set area of screen so you can have a little bit off to the side for quick access to windows and folders (ie make recorded area about 3/4 of screen and no one can tell anyway if your aspect ratio is right, which it will be cause you're dead smart innit)

Combine camtasia with other media.

Import starting and ending screens.

Re-record audio because it is ALWAYS **** no matter what you think!!!

Don't be a smart ass! Adlibbing jokes is normally a terrible idea! Just say what you came to say and get on with it (this obviously ties in with re recording audio)

Try mixing it up, I did a camtasia recording of a powerpoint document once, not a big deal but its better than a power point!!
My driving lessons website
UK Driving Theory Test iPhone App
My Theory Test & Hazard Perception App
Facebook | The Learner Driver Blog
Maven
Nice tips. Any video examples to show us all?

Matcha Green Tea
independentthought's Avatar independentthought independentthought is offline
Maven
I always recorded in .avi with Camtasia and edited with Sony Vegas/better editing software which can render in HD.

Mind you, Camtasia probably has better rendering quality than before, but i'm not sure.
Connector
Good tip, independentthought.

I read that recently myself. I wanted to make the brightness and colours better in my SLW video but I don't have experience of Sony Vegas. Also I have the flu so my head was killing me!!

Another great tip for Camtasia is to FIX YOUR AUDIO because people can't hear you! Use the audio noise reduction and volume adjuster to make it so your video is watchable on laptop speakers.

Remember that your video will look better when you've 'produced it' (basically that means saving it) than in the preview frame. Try producing it a few times rather than trying to make it perfect and producing it only once. It takes a minute or two but make a cup of tea and check your results. One minute videos like for Shell take around 1 minute to save if you're on a not that brilliant computer. On a i7 brute of a machine Camtasia 7 will save a 1 minute video in seconds, so its worth doing a lot (IMO)

Use the Picture in Picture options, (PIP for short). They don't look that smooth on a preview window but in the produced version it is smoother. Make sure you position your picture in picture video in an appropriate place for the main content and if you need to move it from one area to another it's as simple as clicking "split" on the PIP line and draggin' droppin' it. Easy!

Clear your history! If you want to give someone a nice example of visiting your website for the first time then by actually typing the address in, I think, people are more likely to remember it. So bin the browsing history and then let them see you type it all in. This is a tip for ad videos rather than the SLW awards, I just started on my homepage, for example.

Get the trial! It's free for 30 days!
My driving lessons website
UK Driving Theory Test iPhone App
My Theory Test & Hazard Perception App
Facebook | The Learner Driver Blog