This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Go Back   Shell LiveWIRE Discussion Forums > Shell LiveWIRE

Entrepreneur
As a potential client, does it matter to you that I would only work part time?

Hi Guys

I hope to start my own online PR Company over the summer. At present I work for one of the biggest PR agencies in the UK and work on many leading brands across a wide sector of industries.

When I start my company I still want to continue working for the agency I am at the moment. This means I will still be getting the experience of working on some of the worlds biggest brands and some of the best training in the industry, therefore enhancing the service I offer while keeping up to date with the latest trends and techniques.

Obviously this means I will be running my company as a part time concern to begin with. Therefore my question is:

If you knew I/ my company was operating part time but I still was able meet any deadlines you had and offered a good service and strong advice - would you still use me or would the fact that I would be part time put you off?

It would be great to hear your views.

Thanks for your help.
Guru
It wouldn't bother me if you worked 1 hour or 50 hours so long as I got value for money and a good return on my investment.

In fact, I'd be interested to hear what exactly you would offer. Send me some information when you're set up.

Stu
Connector
I wouldn't be too bothered but if you mussed a deadline or was hard to get hold of I would not be happy.

I wonder what your employer thinks? You may find yourself FULLY self employed!

Vending Solutions from Vendesent.co.uk
Connector
As long as you turned around the work in a specified timeframe it shouldn't matter whether you worked f/t or p/t.

You may find that p/t turns into f/t anyway if your product / work is great.
Entrepreneur
Thanks for all your replys guys - it seems that if your meet deadlines and offer the service people expect then the hours worked doesnt matter.

As for my employer finding out, the company I work for only deal with major companies who have huge six or seven figure budgets. Therefore i dont think I will be ready to rival them and steal its business or clients!

Ill be aiming at companies that are starting up or who dont have enough budget to have an inhouse PR person or do not need to release information on a weekly basis but want to be reassured that when they do they can turn to an expert.

Then as that company grows the range of services offered would grow as well.

Once again guys thanks for your views.
Connector
not a jot really

Firstly - how would I know?

and secondly - it wouldnt matter if I found out anyway as long as this didn't effect the quality of your service.

Regards

Amanda
Entrepreneur
It wouldn't matter to me.
In fact, as Amanda has said, how would I even know?
Just as long as you provided the service I contracted you for I would be a happy customer.

Good luck with the business!
Connector
Yes, I agree with all of that, many, many businesses start as part time concerns while people work (although don't be surprised if you find yourself working part time for your employer and putting in full time hours (including evenings and weekends) on your business anyway!

I might also be interested in your services a little down the line so do drop me a line when you're up and running (holly@yetmore.com)

Holly

http://www.musosguide.com
Entrepreneur
I'd have to agree with the majority of answer you've had here. As long as the service was good I wouldn't really mind.

As for your current job, and I'm just guessing here, you might want to check your contract as to whether you can take on clients on your own. I would have assumed that in industries such as Law,PR and Fashion, where the interpersonal relationships form the basis of the business, there may be blocks to stop you from taking on clients of your own.
Connector
Consultancy work is done by many people in conjunction with their normal job. I've done marketing consultancy myself and it is great if not a little daunting because it all rests on you! You'll be surprised at just how much you currently rely on your employer (who buys the paper/pens, fixes the clapped out PC, pays for travel etc etc)

You quote for each job based on hours worked (or sometimes just a block quote) in addition to other charges for expenses, office costs etc if you want. Therefore, the part time/full time argument doesn't come into it really. You agree deadlines/action plans from the off and then you deliver - anywhichwaybuthow!

You have to be careful though as anything you have done for your current company does not belong to you - it is their intellectual property.

Fair enough, people nick their ex-employer's clients all the time but that is generally done on a per-contract basis. You also have to be aware that the majority of clients are after the company name, not the particular consultant.

Good luck! keep us all posted on how you get on.

marketeer@lycos.co.uk
Re: As a potential client, does it matter to you that I would only work part time?

Quote:
Originally posted by crazycoolfool
When I start my company I still want to continue working for the agency I am at the moment.
Make sure your employer will not find out that you're actually a competitor!

Kind regards,
Oliviu Hirjan
3R Design

oliviu@3rdesign.co.uk
www.3rdesign.co.uk

Realistic, Reliable and Responsive Web Design

Entrepreneur
Hi Guys

Just wanted to thank you all for your input and support. It means a lot when you are about to set out on a 'journey' like this that there are others who will give support and encouragement and not be scathing or dismissive.

I havent told my employer as yet but my work will not impact on them as they deal in contracts which are worth six or seven figure sums and I doubt I will be doing anything like that.

Well not in my first week of business anyway!!

I'll let you all know when Im up and running and the site goes live. Im just wondering in-terms of tax how my employer's wages will be affected and if the fact Im earning from another source will be obvious to them. Any ideas guys?

Thanks once again
Connector
crazy could you drop me a line please: Rachael@inspiredmanagement.co.uk need some advice i think you could help with.