This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Go Back   Shell LiveWIRE Discussion Forums > Shell LiveWIRE

Banned
My websites being featured in 'The Sunday Times' :O

This Sunday 28/11/2010 My website will be featured in The Sunday Times

Their InGear section will feature the yearly InGear Christmas Gift Guide in which a few of the products from my website will be shown.

It's totally out of the blue and i can't wait to see it.

My hard work has been paying off recently as the website sales have been growing rapidly.

Im trying to get as many products listed on the website before sunday but its such a rush!

It's really boosted my confidence in the website and made me more focussed on getting it to be the best it can.

Check out our scrolling LED rear windscreen message sign great for advertising your business
KoOSK
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2k05 View Post
This Sunday 28/11/2010 My website will be featured in The Sunday Times

Their InGear section will feature the yearly InGear Christmas Gift Guide in which a few of the products from my website will be shown.

It's totally out of the blue and i can't wait to see it.

My hard work has been paying off recently as the website sales have been growing rapidly.

Im trying to get as many products listed on the website before sunday but its such a rush!

It's really boosted my confidence in the website and made me more focussed on getting it to be the best it can.
I would like to congratulate you on this - As you are aware I was quick to scrutanise your website when you continuously asked for reviews without making any changes. On multiple occasions I had said to you that the site was merely a standard ZenCart theme with a horrible and basic banner attached - I can now see that you have expanded this and have now made the banner slightly more appealing and have given the customers what they need by adding products directly to the home page.

Being blunt I am still not keen on the site - But I would say that as I am web developer and and never happy unless its my work from the ground up - That said the site is obviously performing well and I congratulate you on that and your new position in the Times.

I wish you all the best in the future
Connector
Sounds promising - one thing to make sure of when getting exposure like this is to make 100% sure that your server can take a big spike in traffic. Your hosting company should be able to sort you out with some extra bandwidth for a few days although you might find this sort of thing doesn't actually generate all that much traffic. Depends a lot on the prominence of the article.
Maven
Product placement at Christmas in Christmas Guides are like gold dust and brilliant for on line sales, will you be featured on there website with a link to yours?

If you are then it might be worth sticking an 'As featured in the Sunday Times' in your product description.

Fingers crossed for a spike of orders!

Online Business Manager - SiteBuilder
t 0191 2612991 e info@sitebuilderdiy.co.uk t @sitebuilderdiy

Build a website yourself www.SiteBuilderDIY.co.uk

Get your Pharmacy online www.SiteBuilderPharmacy.co.uk

Webdesign to suit any budget www.SiteBuilderBespoke.co.uk
KoOSK
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
Sounds promising - one thing to make sure of when getting exposure like this is to make 100% sure that your server can take a big spike in traffic. Your hosting company should be able to sort you out with some extra bandwidth for a few days although you might find this sort of thing doesn't actually generate all that much traffic. Depends a lot on the prominence of the article.
You could just move your hosting to us - I can get this done today/tomorrow for you and by doing so you will get unlimited bandwidth - Our dedicated servers are hosted overseas so the Bandwidth and Data pipes are far larger than any UK site can handle - I can give you 5GB hosting space, unlimited bandwidth, unlimited email accounts, 5GB email space, unlimited database, Plesk Control Panel, full FTP access, Spam Filters...the lot - for £15 per month.

Cheers
Rob
Connector
Rob, how on earth can you offer unlimited bandwidth for £15 month?

That's crazy talk.

You may be able to offer unlimited bandwidth to small sites with little traffic, but certainly not to anything of any size that needs to run on one or more dedicated servers.

Regards,
KoOSK
Quote:
Rob, how on earth can you offer unlimited bandwidth for £15 month?

That's crazy talk.

You may be able to offer unlimited bandwidth to small sites with little traffic, but certainly not to anything of any size that needs to run on one or more dedicated servers.

Regards,
Because we can - Why try dispute it - Those are the prices if you want me to charge more I can do :-) - Its unlimited and unlimited means unlimited and £15 per month = £15 per month - Its as simple as that - If you need it get it :-)

We run 2 dedicated servers with the ability to buy into as many as we need as and when we need them - The server that I propse putting the site onto is a 500GB Windows Dual Core Server - With 100Mbit connection and no compromise Unlimited Traffic.

I have had that many discussions and disagreements with people over this - It's written in black and white unlimited traffic - How???? - Our dedicated server is with one of the Worlds Largest if not the worlds largest hosting companies who provide no compromise unlimited bandwidth. #

How can we do it so cheap?
Our dedicated server comes at a cost to us - However this cost is portioned out amongst our clients - The remaining/bulk of the cost is taken on as a cost for our business as we provide Web Development services we rely on web servers therefore this is an allowed for cost. This means we can offer all the said above for £15 per month. No questions ask - No Problems - Just Plain and Simple.
KoOSK
Just to add to that - If needs be we will happily buy into any further required Dynamic Cloud Servers or Dedicated Servers if any distruption is caused which there wont be.

The important thing to remember is - We are not a hosting company - We provide hosting services but our main interest isn't to make an income from Hosting - All we try to do is cover our outgoing costs for our servers hence why we offer it so cheap - or as we would like to call it hence why we offer it at a respectable and reasonable amount rather than rediculously high cost.

Its all about convenience for our customers.
Connector
Rob,

It sounds like I am not the only one to point out who silly this sounds.

I dont doubt you CAN do it for £15/month for the majority of sites with moderate traffic and that can be packed onto the same box, and no doubt you can buy in peak load time if required if you dont mind making a loss on the deal from time to time, but for a site of any size that needs its own server, or indeed several to run properly then it just its a commercial nonsense to say you can offer what would cost you a couple hundred pounds a month to buy in can be sold for £15/month.

That is really the point I am trying to make, although presumably anyone with such requirements wouldn't even think to try and claim your offer.

Regards,
Connector
I think Phil at OpenMindHosting did a good post on unlinted bandwidth once http://www.openmindblog.com/index.ph...he-difference/

I have never found a host yet who advertises unlimited bandwidth that does not have a section in their small print that says if you use to much bandwidth we will cut you off or charge you for extra bandwidth used.

KoOSK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcDerby View Post
I think Phil at OpenMindHosting did a good post on unlinted bandwidth once http://www.openmindblog.com/index.ph...he-difference/

I have never found a host yet who advertises unlimited bandwidth that does not have a section in their small print that says if you use to much bandwidth we will cut you off or charge you for extra bandwidth used.
Here is how it works and this was taken directly from our dedicated server providers website...

To ensure fair allocation of resources, users who exceed 1000GB traffic per month will automatically incur a temporary connectivity restriction of 10MBit bandwidth with 250GB traffic. This traffic limit can be overridden via the Control Panel in incremental 250GB steps. Full 100MBit bandwidth can also be manually restored. This process can be repeated as often as necessary within a billing cycle without incurring additional charge.

So to explain - Users of our system who exceed 1000GB per month which which based on JustMustHave.com is 534,021 unique page views per month - The connection will instantly be dropped to 10Mbit and 250GB Bandwidth Howver this can be restored from within the control panel which is exactly what we do ourselevs. On the back of that if our client exceeded any kind of limit we can switch them over to our second server meaning our client recieves 1, 068,042 page views in one month. - Now I know that it will be featured in the Newspaper but I am not convinced over 1million views a month will be hit.

So to conclude it is unlimited because we have back to back servers and buy into more servers if necessary.
Connector
Rob, thanks for confirming my point about the limits to your service. As you explain above, there is only so much you can stuff on a box, and if you go over it your site will be throttled back, and there is a real cost to you if the limits are exceeded and you have to buy more bandwidth.
KoOSK
Quote:
Rob, thanks for confirming my point about the limits to your service. As you explain above, there is only so much you can stuff on a box, and if you go over it your site will be throttled back, and there is a real cost to you if the limits are exceeded and you have to buy more bandwidth.
Yes but the simple fact is - As I pointed out based on the size of JustMustHave.com our 1 server can comfortablly handel 500, 000 visits per month without any drop in connection speed or traffic limit - Now realistically if your website was hitting even close to 500,000 hits a month I would like to think that you would be in a posistion to not be using shared hosting packages and instead have your own hosting solutions. Fair enough I appreciate I am going against the original "argument"/point made that its not unlimited - but it would seem unlimited for the type of users it is aimed at - Certainly much larger companies/webistes that hit over 500,000 visits a month would not be suited for this type of hosting.