This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Starting Out
Gas supplier/Prices at new premises - SCAM!

I took over a premises in May 2010, not sure who the gas supplier was, i waited to get bill in the previous tenants name, only to find a bill 5 months later which was charging me £3.60 per day standing charge and 3.5p per kw, I had no idea the previous tenants had it on a group (many locations) and that since taking over it put on this rate...

I want to know where I stand, as Gazprom (the supplier) is saying the new tenant automatically takes over the bill by default and since its not in the groups name, we go onto emergency rate.

any info appreciated.
Guru
Hi hmeah

I have a business that helps small businesses and hone owners with their utility bills. I can't tell you how many times I have seen this happen to small businesses and completely cripple them. You might be able to get some help from ofgem or the office of fair trade but generally these companies get away with these bad practices. you might be able to get the bill reconsidered if they didn't send you the right letters when you took over the premises but this is very hard to prove. The important thing now is that you get off emergency rate but don't get tied into a different unfair contract. Every time you talk to gazprom make sure at the end of the conversation you confirm you don't want to be in a contract with them. Have you also checked your electricity rates? Fran x
Connector
Two approaches:

1) Point out that you have no contract with them and then make them an offer which you consider to be reasonable. Go from there.

2) Return to sender - 'not known at this address'. If this bill isn't addressed to you then it isn't for you. The previous tenant should have notified the supplier that they were leaving to discharge their liability. They were in contract, you are not.

Chris

Installation, sales and consultancy for home-cinema, multi-room sound and corporate AV.

- Gear 7 on Facebook
- Gear 7 on Twitter