This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Help with market research ideas

Hello I want to start my own millinery business and am getting quite stuck with trying to find out info for market research. I have written a short questionairre and posted links to it in a few relevant forums of potential customers and many have viewed the threads yet only one person has actually answered the questions. What is going wrong here?

I want to sell handmade one of a kind, ready to wear designs online and at trade fairs and to retailers and know my market is mainly women with a disposable income to spend a lot on accessories but where to find them all to get their opinions and feedback?

I went to the British Library which was very helpful and I recommend their business centre to anyone starting up. The market research reports I could find were generalised at accessories or all of fashion in general and nothing specific on my trade.

Thanks

Lynsey
Maven
Is your questionnaire online? There may be people on here that can answer it if you post a link.

babyhjewellery@hotmail.co.uk

Baby H Jewellery

Our Facebook Page

Our Twitter Page
Thanks for the reply.

Here are some of my questions on wearing hats.

1) Name?
2) Age
3) Gender?
4) Occupation?

5) How often do you buy a hat or fascinator?

6) How often do you wear a hat/fascinator?

7) What do you look for when buying a hat for a special occassion

8) Where do you go to buy a hat or fascinator?

9) What special occassions do you or would you wear a hat or fascinator for?

Wedding
Theatre/Performance
Sporting events
Birthday
Other

10) How much are you prepared to spend on a hat or fascinator?

11) Do you like vintage styles of millinery and if yes which periods?
30s/40s
1920s
Edwardian
Victorian
12) Which do you mainly purchase?

High Street, mass produced low cost
Department stores
Designers ready to wear
Designers ready to wear only one of each design produced
Bespoke
Maven
Hi Hatta,

I'm no market research expert, but I'd guess the obvious thing is to hit the streets - if there's a wedding/fashion fair in your area it may be worth standing outside, or even going out to your main street on a Saturday afternoon.

One thing I heard someone suggest the other day is you get the questionnaire set up online (fairly simple) and if you know anyone with an iPad, borrow it and take it out with you instead of a clipboard and let people fill in the questionnaire on it. That way all the data is stored in a central place and you're not left with a load of bits of paper at the end of the day, plus I bet you'd get more people willing to participate just to have a go!

Thanks

The Technology and Social Media Consultancy

Many thanks to all who helped us win a Grand Ideas award for February 2011. Some of the great guys who helped can be found on The Great deeg Ark-Builders List!
Maven
I remember a friend having to do a questionnaire for her college class so we stood outside Tesco's for about 3 hours in the freezin cold asking people these questions. It was actually one of the most effective ways to get the answers she needed - most people were willing to help.

babyhjewellery@hotmail.co.uk

Baby H Jewellery

Our Facebook Page

Our Twitter Page
Starting Out
Getting respondents for your market research project

Hi Hatta,

Yeah start by hosting your questionnaire online somewhere. You can have free or almost free tools to do it.
Your profile sample is not that precise and about fashion in general so you can maybe target fashion forums, social media group on the same topic, etc...

Or go in the street and stop people wearing hats, easy to recognize! lol

Otherwise you can use online market research companies to provide you the respondents. The online way to do it is not that expensive today and that can help to find you the right respondents dor your survey.
Read more information about online market research

Good luck with it!

Marketest: online market research company for business start-ups and existing companies.
Connector
Hate to state the obvious - but you've weighted the survey to give you the results you want - how many people are opening the survey and going "But I NEVER wear a hat or fascinator" and closing it again? You need to create a way of researching how large a factor that is, why they aren't in the market, what might persuade them to wear one...

Here's some very easy market research - stand outside a church when there is a wedding taking place, count the number of people actually wearing hats/fascinators and if feeling brave, go and ask them why/where they bought. You'll also find it more successful if it is a "tickbox" style of question so they don't have to think of an answer - you can always add an "other" option to the suggested styles etc. Especially for the Age question!!!

Caroline