This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Starting Out
my website

hi all i have just go tmy website finished and i was hopeing that you couldoffer some opinions about it so i an make it as professional as possible before up loading it

cheers natalie

www.qchat.co.uk/it
Connector
OK

Hi Natalie.

I offer the following views in the spirit of constructive criticism.

1: I waited 20 seconds for the front page to load over a fat office broadband connection. It still hadn't. Either the server was freaking out at the time or you need to seriously compress your background image.

2: There is a missing image on the front page

3: The first page is very static, the navigation doesnt roll over or highlightmaking it difficult to identify and use the navigation.

4: I do like the background, but it sometimes obscures the content, perhaps consider restricting the background imagery to the headers or sidebars and using a more neutral backdrop for text and images.

5: The title/logo and other images look a little blocky, resolve this by opening the originals as vectors, rescaling appropriately and resaving in high res before exporting and compressing as bitmaps. Taking care to strike a balance between resolution and file size.

The site design is attractive and has the potential to be a great advert for your business, it just needs a little polish to finish it off and move it up a level to demonstrate this.

Regards

James Hirst
A4 Internet ltd
0845 108 0411
www.a4internet.com
Starting Out
thank you i will forward this to my web designer and they can make the nessesary improvments
Connector
My Pleasure

I am surprised that the designer did not test for missing links and download speed for you.

If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

BTW > We offer better value deals and service than Easily if you fancy swapping web hosts

Regards

James Hirst
Connector
Hiya,

Spotted a couple of things on the Marketing page...

"The internet today is a very competitive market place. Its not just about having the most impressive website, but also having a correct marketing strategy to compliment your site and ensure maximum exposure and ROI." compliment should be 'complement' and it might be better to explain ROI as it may seem jargon-ish to those not in the know.

Also not so keen on the turquoise text of the menu and think Times New Roman can be a bit of a gamble, but it definitely is along the right lines so I don't mean to sound rude and I'm sorry if I do!

http://www.musosguide.com
Connector
I think one of your major concerns should be:

It is completely inaccessible to the disabled, making websites accessible to at least Priority 1 level (don't worry, its not too hard), will be law by October. SME's don't have much of a liklehood of being policed and caught, however you will have to consider how it will appears to your customers that you are ignoring laws and ethics regarding accessibility. It's easier to deal with it now, before the site grows to massive proportions.

I've amended one of my sites, the other one will take a lot longer as its over 100 pages, and so I hope to manage this by the end of the year - fingers crossed :-)

However, it downloaded quite fast for me on adsl. Clicking from page to page seemed a slight bit slow though.

Regards

Amanda