This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Go Back   Shell LiveWIRE Discussion Forums > Shell LiveWIRE

Banned
Quote:
I have just entered, but i am unsure whether a video has to be submitted now or only if i am short listed.
You only need to do an elevator pitch video if you are shortlisted. We'll call you (by phone) to let you know if you have been.

Having said that, there's no harm in recording one now (or at least practising) just incase you are shortlisted.
Connector
I'm not a winner of the award so I don't know how valuable my tips will be, please vote for me!

I recommend that you think about these things:

Make sure you are as clear as you can be in your application form. The written element is very important, as Paul mentioned in the previous post you only get invited to submit a video if you get through the initial stage, which is the written application.

Make the VOLUME (sorry for shouting) loud in your video! Too many videos are submitted which are not audible on laptop speakers. It's ok on the desktop PC where you can put the volume up but on my wee lap top I can't hear what you're saying!

You've only got 1 minute - try to cover these points in that minute:

Who are you?
What is your business?
What is the market (size, value etc)
What is different about you? Where is the innovation?
What will you use the money for?

The point about mentioning what you'll use the award money for is important - you need to be clear about what the prize will achieve. Think about your application in terms of the project.

Be clear about what stage you are already at in your business so people can put the award into context. It means a lot to win this award as these are serious and well thought of awards. Knowing what stage you are at in your business will help people know what the award will mean to you.
My driving lessons website

The Learner Driver Blog
Banned
Great advice Richard. Good luck with your own entry this month!
Connector
Thanks Paul! Another great tip for people running internet businesses is to show your website during the video.

If you already have a website then you can add a heck of a lot of context to your video by showing the website. The video which I uploaded was recorded in real time, it shows the speed and ease of the website without having to tell people. That saves a lot of time because by my reckoning you only really get about 200 words out in a minute.

For this purpose I advise you check out an application for Windows PCs called "Camtasia" which lets you record the image on your pc screen.

It is an expensive product to buy but you can get a trial. I'm sure there are probably free alternatives out there too.

I think getting as much context over about you and your business without having to actually speak to do it is the best tip going. It is the Grand Ideas award, afterall, and voting for a Grand Idea is easier when you can see it, rather than just a clinical video of a person in a room. Mind you, if you are really succinct (which I am not, unfortunately) you can still make a compelling video pitch without a screen recording.

The Learner Driver Blog
Banned
Richard, your elevator pitch video is excellent. I and others in the team were very impressed. You and your brother did a great job.
Connector
Wow, that's fantastic feedback. I can't say how much appreciate that, thanks.

The Learner Driver Blog
Guru
Theres some free video editing software out there. The one i used is http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/...FZQOfAod82vzfw

You can piece different out-takes together and can do a few other things such as background music and narations. It literaly took me 5 minutes to learn. It doesn't have all the features, but is good for a novice.
Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordlancaster View Post
Not true - the video votes only influence the outcome, as the scores returned by our panel of independent judges are the most important aspect.

We actually changed our scoring system this year to ensure that the winners aren't just those with the highest votes....
We nearly haven't applied because of the video! Now, we are happy that we did!
Connector
Another great tip is to take feedback on board.

Here's a link to a thread that you might find useful about just that:

http://www.shell-livewire.org/forums...ad.php?t=27152

Feedback is probably the most important aspect of the awards, and no one seems to mention it. Win or Lose the judges are constructive.

The Learner Driver Blog
Hi Richard,
I think you mentioned already the most important thing, which was feedback. The great thing about this award is that you can reapply and learn from your mistakes. I got nominated this month (Oct.11) for an award after two previous attempts. You can have a look at our video Sola Line and vote;-)

However, I must say, it was much easier for me with a business plan I prepared before applying. This helped me to be concise and meet the word limit. In the first application I thought less is more, but my feedback was to use the whole 200 words. So in the following applications I did.

Other useful feedback was to look at my business model. This made me rethink and seek feedback from my mentors.
My main tip would be to continue trying until you get it and you turn 31years. I will do it ;-)
Hi Richard,
I think you mentioned already the most important thing, which was feedback. The great thing about this award is that you can reapply and learn from your mistakes. I got nominated this month (Oct.11) for an award after two previous attempts. You can have a look at our video Sola Line and vote;-)

However, I must say, it was much easier for me with a business plan I prepared before applying. This helped me to be concise and meet the word limit. In the first application I thought less is more, but my feedback was to use the whole 200 words. So in the following applications I did.

Other useful feedback was to look at my business model. This made me rethink and seek feedback from my mentors.
My main tip would be to continue trying until you get it and you turn 31years. I will do it ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by florenceij View Post
HI Guys I finally did it. I applied got shortlisted and won. If you haven't yet applied and ur still contemplating just give it a go.
Congratulations! A successful example does encourage me to go ahead to submit an application, instead of worrying how far I can get in the competition.
Guru
Dear all,
I have been following this topic since being member of this forum and it helped me a lot.
I would like to say BIG thank you. We applied and our 'beIN.com The Working Playground' idea have been shortlisted. This is giving us new energy to continue working hard.
You can see our video here: http://www.shell-livewire.org/awards/grand-ideas-awards
Our video is the last one and of course your votes would be very much appreciated.
Thank you for the great support.
Truly regards
Jan
Connector
Your video is quite good because you are clear spoken and you are actually in your video - which is always a bonus because people find it easier to vote for someone they can see than just a voice over.

The Learner Driver Blog
Guru
Thanks a lot Richard,
great to know that someone likes it.
Good luck with your LowPriceLessons venture. I really like it and will recommended.
Regards
Jan

Tags
advice, awards, business plan, grand idea awards