This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Go Back   Shell LiveWIRE Discussion Forums > Shell LiveWIRE

How do people meet their future business partners and collaborators?

I am currently searching for people interested in joining me in some business ventures and I was wondering how people had met their business partners and whether anyone had any thoughts on the best ways to find people?

I've tried networking events which have proved interesting and quite useful in many ways but I haven't met many people who are looking to join a start-up business.

Just in case anyone here is interested in this sort of opportunity I'll quickly outline my business concepts.

It is at an early stage but I'm developing a Comparison Button for websites and blogs; basically it's a small button that bloggers and content publishers can simply add next to relevant content - for example a web site on digital cameras might have a piece on the latest Canon SLR, the button could be added next to this and would bring up a small overlaying pop-up showing the best and cheapest places to buy that camera. Affiliate commission would be generated on sales or referrals with the lion's share going to the content publisher/blogger. This business will need a major amount of work to fully develop the product and to grow its market share, so I will be looking to raise venture capital funding. Before I do though I want to put together a team with an impressive spread of skills. I have some pieces of the jigsaw already but it would be great to hear from anybody who is interested in this project.

On a slightly more modest scale I am developing a website that will let people compare different online dating sites, read reviews about them and offer general advice on dating. There is a good revenue model and the market research shows plenty of demand for the service. With my experience of web development and marketing, I am confident of out shining the current competition. What I really want to do though is work with two people who could review dating sites from the woman's and man's point of view and would be interested in blogging about dating.

This post is getting a little longer than I had intended so I'll stop here but if anyone reading this is interested in either of these projects please ping me a reply.
Maven
VC Money is usually over 200 thousand pounds is this the investment you are looking for!

I would be apprehensive of giving away to much information in relation to your concept, especially on a social networking website.

In relation to business partners, I wouldn't recomend entering into business with a complete stranger this could get extremely messy.
Thank you for your reply,

To clarify the VC point I am probably looking at raising Angel funding for the first-round, either from an individual or an Angel style funding competition. Then further down the line after the initial development and launch of the product. I might look at getting more conventional VC investment to expand the product range and to accelerate growing one's share of the market.

I appreciate your warning about giving too much away. It's a tricky balance between being open enough to get people interested and not giving away key business secrets.
Hi Angus,
I would be interested in speaking in regard to this.
Can you email me
lucy.ware@live.co.uk
Maven
Hi Angus,

I might be able to help you, I can Blog, Linkbuild, Review sites, got some good ideas for original articles and other marketing bits. Got some basic development skills as well, would n't be able to to tackle the first project but could help with maintaining a dating comparison site. I just searched for some comparison sites and agree on the weak competition. Might have some fresh ideas on the revenue side as well.

I'm taking on another project from September, so can help up to then as and when you need me and can work part time on it after.
Hi Simon,

Thank you for your interest - I would definitely like to discuss it further, please drop me an email at: angus0002@googlemail.com so I can email you back.

Thanks
Angus