This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Connector
ASP Help

Hi ppl,

This is going to sound a strange request but are there any ASP developers here willing to talk through the basics of ASP with me, perhaps over msn? Im a quick learner.

I've been dipping into it recently and even managed to build a simple CMS, as alot of you will know im a designer, and use freelance programmers at the moment. So in the future I would like to be able to do the full monty.

Regards
Brett White
Adventures in Creative Design
What sort of things would you like to know.

I am pretty sure I can help you ..
Connector
Hi Jonathan,

By looking at your website am I right in thinking you use asp.net?
Really I just want some guidance to get me going, perhaps a tutorial if you like, if I can just get to grips with the basics ill be ok,

I would really appreciate it if you could help me out, have you got msn messenger?

I have IIS and the .NET Framework in place, and I use Dreamweaver MX for programming, all on my PC.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Brett White
Hi Brett

We do everything from vb, SQL, ASP, ASP.NET basically everything thats programming

I am using windows messenger which I think is the same as MSN.

I have added you as a contact so I should be notified when you come online.

Once I get a feel for where you are at I will put together some quick tutorial, recommended books, website, forums etc. I will also be on hand to give you any tips or help along your way.

My windows messenger handle is jonathana@illuminaries.co.uk

Look forward to having a chat
Connector
www.hotscripts.com <--- scripts for everything and every language there.

I've learnt everything I know (including HTML) from just looking at how other scripts work.

netInspired - Website | Application | Database Development

View Phil Rae's profile on LinkedIn      
Connector
i would recommend that if you are getting into programming for the very first time you have a little read on the basics:

My recommendations on what to look for and a learn first would be:

- Various little functions as well as handling numbers/calculations, just something as simple as 'Response.Write(...)' in ASP or message boxes in VB.

- Read up on variables and how they are used, chances are you will declare a lot of variables once you get going

- String handling - playing around with strings using built-in functions and start writing your own little algorithms/system to check input, ie, check whether a phone number is all numbers, no letters etc.

- Handling user input from forms - before releasing any major website you should always make sure that your user input is rigorously checked to ensure that no one is able to do what they shouldn't.

- Conditions such as 'IF x = n then...' 'ELSE...Do this...' they come in very useful too!

- The syntax and layout of the language. Every language is different but VB(Script)s syntax is fairly easy to understand. Try and remember to lay code out neatly, it helps if you have to modify it!

From this you could then go onto looking at database integration with anything from a text file, MS Access or MSSQL/MySQL as well as other advanced features.

I am not really an ASP.Net developer (yet!) but from what I've seen ASP.Net has a lot more builtin that could make life a lot easier without having to purchase additional components or code.

I would definitely recommend buying a good book and just playing with some of the code. Try it, get it to work, customise it and use it! You'll soon find it easier and easier to use as you need it.

I'm not lazy. I just can't be arsed to do pointless things.

- syIT Amazon Tools - Increase your Amazon Associates revenue using webservices without the hassle.
- HotSpotter - UK Wireless Networking Portal
- Jam Shop - Buy quality preserves and marmalades
- Audiologue.com - Online HiFi and Home Cinema Shop

Connector
Brett assuming you know Javascript, maybe PHP would be worth a look at as the code format is similar. If Else statements, functions etc are very similar to Javascript.

Take VISA/Mastercard in muliple currencies. £26 setup fee. 2Checkout have processed over $100M in transactions!
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by kermey
Brett assuming you know Javascript, maybe PHP would be worth a look at as the code format is similar. If Else statements, functions etc are very similar to Javascript.
Thanks for the suggestion, but its really ASP that im keen to get to grips with, like I said I do have a basic understanding of the language, just needed some guidence to which direction to go.

Regards
Brett White