This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Go Back   Shell LiveWIRE Discussion Forums > Shell LiveWIRE

View Poll Results: What name should I choose for my Web-based Business?
GoLive 6 50.00%
WebTv 1 8.33%
GetReal-GetLive 1 8.33%
StreamLive 4 33.33%
Instant Stream 2 16.67%
Other(Please Post Reply) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Maven
NEW web business

Hi Guys,

I'm just developing a web based business on providing live web broadcasting services.
The services being offered are:
  • Live streaming of events
  • A live channel for yourself/organisation> which has athe ability to loop over and over again.(Similar to web casting)
  • Video Conferencing
  • Live editing
  • Choice of a public or private broadcast.
I want to develop it so that users can instantly sign up, choose a package and start streaming.
(This is one of my USP's as most companies need to have a slot booked beforehand.)
It will have the ability to connect to more than one cam on more than one PC> for different location broadcasting.

There quite a handful of sites out there who do a similar thing but I find they take too long for their company to set up a stream for you. The only problem is that I'd need to get a good host to handle so much video.

Truly believe this could be as great as youtube.

Let me know what you think and if any of you out there may be interested in this sort of thing. Please alo adiviose me of prices and how I should charge for different services. Should there be a trial period.

Many thanks
Starting Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayathullah View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm just developing a web based business on providing live web broadcasting services.
The services being offered are:
  • Live streaming of events
  • A live channel for yourself/organisation> which has athe ability to loop over and over again.(Similar to web casting)
  • Video Conferencing
  • Live editing
  • Choice of a public or private broadcast.
I want to develop it so that users can instantly sign up, choose a package and start streaming.
(This is one of my USP's as most companies need to have a slot booked beforehand.)
It will have the ability to connect to more than one cam on more than one PC> for different location broadcasting.

There quite a handful of sites out there who do a similar thing but I find they take too long for their company to set up a stream for you. The only problem is that I'd need to get a good host to handle so much video.

Truly believe this could be as great as youtube.

Let me know what you think and if any of you out there may be interested in this sort of thing. Please alo adiviose me of prices and how I should charge for different services. Should there be a trial period.

Many thanks
Hi There

We are able to offer you this, please see your inbox for the quote.

Tel: 0845 543 8468
Email: suzy@suzyspage.co.uk
http://www.conglesystemsltd.com
Starting Out
Hi Ayathullah.
Your idea is unique and hopefully will receive good responses. I would advise you to get a dedicated server which could save you from many issues like bandwidth limit exceed or space problems. Investment would be high so try seeking an investor or become partners with someone. Are you looking for a windows or Linux/Unix based hosting? Both have different charges as Linux/Unix is cheaper than windows packaged. I found some affordable and best hosting server companies:
1) Godaddy
2) HostGator
3) HostMonster

The above are the most popular ones. My signature may provide more business ideas.
Entrepreneur
Hi Ayathullah

I strongly recommend you choose a UK based ISP if people are having to send content from their machines upstream to your ISP across the world and then back again you're adding significant latency, which is not a huge problem with video as its a long stream, but there is much more bandwidth available between UK points than UK to international. Some ISPs have large pipes between different UK cities as well, which would be advantageous.

I think its a great idea, especially the video conferencing. What sort of framerates and resolutions will you support? In terms of pricing for video conferencing, I would expect to see a monthly subscription cost which gives you a set number of minutes, but also a pay as you go option. I think a fair price to pay would be about £5 an hour per connection - i.e. a 4way conference would be £20 an hour. I'm not sure how much WebEx chargfe but they offer video conferencing as well so it would be worthwhile looking at their prices..

Best of luck
Maven
Thank Guys. Will look into your suggestions.

Have I helped you today?

Sponsor a profile and give the gift of an education.

Spare a quid?
Text JANA50 £1 to 70070
Maven
Anyone know of a cathy name I could use for this web based business>
I'm thinking along the lines of 'golive' and 'webstream'.
Let me know thanks
Connector
Do you own golive? That would be my choice but I see someone owns it already.
My driving lessons website
UK Driving Theory Test iPhone App
My Theory Test & Hazard Perception App
Facebook | The Learner Driver Blog
Maven
@Richard> I've just realised that and Adobe have a Product called Golive aswell.

I'd apprecaite it if more people would kindly vote in the poll above.
Maven
Im not sure if you already know this but all the .co.uk and .com's of all the names mentioned in the Poll above are registered except GetReal-GetLive, which to be fair is a bit long and more of a slogan than a name.

What domain are you planning to use because as a web based business that would be a very important aspect?

Follow SA6 on Twitter
Maven
Hi Sohaib,
Thanks for letting me know, I should've checked them out before posting. Apologies for that.
I was wondering how about using a catchy WEB 2.0 Name. Any Ideas?
Let Me know
Thanks.

Tags
broadcast, live, stream, video conference, web 2.0