This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Starting Out
Hi Amanda, I'll mention it to the client and the web design company - I just did the identity and packaging!

Identity design, product branding, packaging graphics and retail design, Kent
Starting Out
With a bit of re-theming (new banner, some stylesheet modifications, couple of new photos) and a small AdWords campaign I think you could drum up some extra traffic and conversions.

What is left in your marketing budget?

BTW I find NLP on the same site as Jewellery to be really strange! Perhaps you could focus it a bit more. Document your NLP and other stuff on a free micro-site(s) that links into your main site... just a thought. Feel free to message me if you want to talk more about cost-effective ways to increase sales.
Maven
If you have not already I would reccomend opening up an eBay shop, don't get me wrong websites are good but in my opinion it may take some time for your website to start getting noticed on google as you say your thinking about closing down, which I very much doubt you have the time to wait. The downside I see from getting your website up to scratch is 1. time - how long til your first sale 2. spending more money - how much more money do you have to invest?, sure it is a very good invest for the future but if you need sales a.s.a.p an eBay shop will be more ideal as the customers are already there and you do not have to spend alot of money or time, it's another source of income that does not consume alot of time and money.

Good luck I hope things work out for you

Mo
Starting Out
I'd second that. If you haven't already sold on Ebay, it's definitely an avenue worth exploring. I still think you could get extra leads and sales with a bit of a spruce up and AdWords... but as mo112 says, make sure you give Ebay a go too. It might bring you the revenue you need to get your shop where you need it to be.
Connector
Quote:
Originally Posted by katherinegrace View Post
This is our website www.reach-for-the-skies.co.uk However I do not feel it is as focused on fashion retail as it could be. I would appreciate any comments &/or advice.

Our marketing and advertising has so far consisted of a local leaflet drop, adverts in the local paper, adverts in local magazines, adverts on local radio & advertising through facebook. We have virtually nothing left in our budget.
Hi Katherine,

Ive taken a look at the website, i know budget is low - and i understand your predicament but as a designer everything i see is saying redesign - the impression of your website you have to understand is what people first see, and if the website looks old tired and empty - people will think you cant be bothered, if you cant be bothered why should they?

This isnt a marketing ploy or anything, ebay is a great idea as suggested above but i really would like to speak with you about the shop you have, make some suggestions etc, can you drop me a quick email so i can get in touch (another thing i noticed via the website, where do people contact you via email??)

Look forward to hearing from you hun, if not - i do wish you all the very best in the world

Colin Jarvis
Jarvis Web and Graphic Solutions
colin@jarviswebandgraphicsolutions.co.uk
Maven
ok your site seams to be having a slight loading issue... similar to a current issue ive begun to experience with my own network

if i was a customer, i would want the page to open first time, yours failed to open at first when i tried but after a retry it opened

secondly, not being brutal but being honest. The site doesnt look very appealing or attractive either so that could also be an issue
Guru
Just read this thread, all sounds unfortunate.

I don't really have much to offer on top of what has been said, think you have some good advice here particularly from Amanda.

I think the eBay idea for now is the way forward, as you can utilise their platform, hopefully accrue some turnover and then address the website issues...

Anyway, good luck, hope it all works out.
Connector
I concur that Ebay is another good bit of advice.

You can also use Twitter, Facebook and things like that (frequenting the right sort of forums) to help drive customers to your Ebay store (don't presume that if you just put stuff on Ebay it's just going to automatically sell well without any marketing help).

Of course after first following the earlier advice about photo creativity from myself and pc branding. I loved the 'pinning stock to brick walls' idea.

Amanda
Guru
I completely understand why people are saying try an ebay shop. But bear in mind this isn't suitable for everyone. The nature of my business and my target market means that people would not buy from ebay because they are worried about fakes. Yes for many or even the majority of products, and ebay shop cant hurt, but if i were katherine I would think hard because I believe that your online shop should be an extension of your physical shop (and from the photo, the decor of the shop says upmarket boutique). Having said that, using ebay would probably be a step up from the current website so could be good as a stop gap till things get back on track.
Connector
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbranding View Post
Dear Katherine/Grace(!)
Your website feels very handmade and not particularly exciting (I'm a graphic designer, not a web designer!) It needs to be up there with the high street retailers in terms of style and you need to really push your product through photography and be more visual. This doesn't mean expensive photoshoots, products can be laid out flat on glass, grass, timber backgrounds or folded up and shot on tops of brick walls, pinned to walls...there are all kinds of cheap ways of offering something that says 'style' and design-awareness, that can be achieved with a digital camera.
My background is in high street retail brands and one of my smaller clients is a womens online fashion retailer www.flaiver.com.
This was a simple job in terms of identity, but the site and it's offer has it's own look and feel which is perfect for the target audience and the product it offers.
Marketing-wise, being visible on relevent business/networking/fashion forums will help raise your profile. Have you contacted your local papers for editorial reporting on your offer? Do you have a local fashion college you can link with your company? What makes your clothes better than other peoples? Who designs them? Better value? Better cut for people of a certain age?

Should I stop?
I love your Flavier website - and they have some lovely clothes too!! :-D

I agree with everything being said, not a lot to add - I had no idea what it was you sold since the page heading in my browser says 'Book publishers, art classes, computer tuition'. Even after reading that someone had seen a pic of the shop and said it looked lovely, it was like where's wally trying to find it (found it, and yes the shop looks quote upmarket).

At least youve done the important thing and thats accept change and be willing to adapt with the times. If you want to sell clothing for big busted ladies, give me a shout! :-)

http://www.missfituk.com

Maven
hi there, Like others have said before, i would try and use ebay, its cheap and can help get you clients all over the world, once you can get more cash in then you can obviously sort out your website. I think with your website you did what i did in the begining, its got too over complicated, with you shop it looks very crisp and clean and thats how your website should be Also Im going to put a few links below this is free advertising, you may already have used them but i am finding them very useful!! and also facebook make sure its easy to find I have so many epople enquire on facebook its unreal!!! well worth using it to your advantage. A cheap option (most people will disagree) for you website is just to use a template try the one below I use it for mine and other shave uploaded theres for you to see and some look very classy. anyways I hope these are useful to you:

http://www.wix.com

http://www.freeindex.co.uk

http://www.womengetsmart.co.uk/

p.s Ebay really isnt that bad, some people I know have made some brillaint shops on there, oh also if any of your friends have websites ask if they can have a link to yours on there too (it helps)

laura xx

Proprietor of Alyssa Rose

http://alyssa-rose.co.uk
I'm a little lost. So many comments. Our shop is probably in the wrong location the town we are in has a lot of empty shops & we are slightly out of town, but the plan was to start there make some profit & move to the town I live in Lewes. With regards to the website I would gladly change this around & I'm not to happy with the current setup. However, is there a simple, easy way to create links and promote the site? So far I have tried to create interest on facebook by creating a group. I did look at advertising on facebook but from what I could tell there was no guaranteed way of it reaching the right people or even people in the UK.
facebook group Self boutique http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?i...id=79684374931
Maven
ive joined your group and invited everyone in my list so at least a few people will see it, Just one thing, your shop is called self... and your website reach for the skies... why didnt you call your website self or vice versa, when I see a hope i like i type in the name so your shop namedoesnt relate to your website.. or am i just being slow lol xx

Proprietor of Alyssa Rose

http://alyssa-rose.co.uk
Connector
I think you need to take focus away from placing adverts, which are largely ineffective and use Facebook for it's intended purpose ...which is for social networking.

As mentioned, you need to connect with people in your local area that can reach your shop and get them to join your group as a fan, Facebook has a search facility that should allow that. You need to get them excited about the shop if you want them to come and visit it.

From what you say about location, you obviously can't rely on footfall passing the door of your shop, so you need to lure them there by other means, Facebook is a perfectly valid way of doing that.

You have 54 members, figure out how to get that figure to 200, then 500 and so on. Make sure the group is extremely active - constant new photos uploaded by you, new updates, new comments, every single day without fail.

People won't visit the group (or join it for that matter) if nothing is going on within the group, it needs to be alive and active.. Have a good look at Katydid Collection and see what she's doing in terms of wall postings.

Again there are issues with identity and image that will significantly impact your marketing activities. Decide what your business is called and I will create a logo, then look to Katydid Collection to see what sort of thing you should be posting on your wall to attract, gain and retain fans.

I'd recommend filling the group with quite a bit of content before working on getting local fans. Otherwise they will just land on the group and wonder why they should bother joining if nothing is happening on there.

All fans should be sourced from your local area using the Facebook search facility. If your group is good enough, people will start telling their friends, who are also likely to be based in your local area.

Amanda