This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Maven
Chicken or Egg - Consumers or Businesses First

I have a local community/directory website ready to go live soon and am wondering which is the best target to pursue first.

Businesses or Consumers?
Is it better to approach businesses first and generate sales (dilemma, no background, traffic history to pitch with) OR
market to consumers (dilemma, not enough content on the website).

Who would be better to approach first and how would we overcome the dilemma?
Maven
I see your problem - both! get some businesses on, maybe offer them the first month or so free - then try and charge after this if it works for them, then get on to the consumers.
Connector
as previous answer, offer some businesses a free advert, a web site is almost worthless without traffic, so let people know about the site to generate traffic, then you can start selling advertising.
Connector
I can only echo what has been said above. Get the businesses on board with an offer. Then bring in the visitors. Then bring in the money.

Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/mrgashiuk
Maven
thanks to all for replies.
some businesses have already taken up a free listing which has brought in about 30% content on the website. I fear that if I bring in visitors now, they may be put off if they only have a small chance of finding what they came for and probably won't return at a later date?
Connector
I know that the idea is to create a directory site, but realistically most people won't use it unless it has a really niche feel - e.g. it's for your local area or it's for small businesses only or it's THE site to find anything to do with weddings. Otherwise I'd just use Yell.co.uk and get everything I needed.

You need CONTENT - ask the businesses to provide content and give them a free listing for say 6 months or until traffic reaches XXX,000/month. Make sure they understand there will be fees upfront otherwise you stand to gain businesses/traffic and then lose it when you introduce charges.

As you have one niche area sorted, you can follow the template to add another area too, and grow the site that way rather than trying to conquer the world straight off.
Maven
Lol. I'm not trying to conquer the world all at once. I've picked my niche and locale and will expand from there. It's not really a directory site so to speak, or not another 'Yell' shall I say, or what would be the point?

Content is King they say so I shall continue to build upon it and simultaneously build traffic. Sales can then be made as traffic begins to increase.

Would be interesting to hear from some directory owners on shell how they went about this.