This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Connector
Summer Jobs

Hi All,

I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on Students having Summer Jobs with local businesses.

I've got a couple of projects on the go, at the moment. I've had a few Students (Age 15, 18) already enquiring if I have any summer jobs going..

But I wanted to find out whehter I would have to go through the whole rigmarole of sorting out payslips, NI, etc. Especially as it will only be about a months worth of work.

I don't think Newspapers bother with their Paperboys, but what is the law on it?

Thanks,

Mike
Connector
see

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/paye/employee...l/students.htm
Shell LiveWIRE Team Member
Hiya,

If you employ a student at any time other than their normal holiday periods (or if a student works for you both during and outside their holidays), then you should operate the normal PAYE procedures used for any other employee.

But if you employ a student solely during their summer, winter or Easter holidays, you may be able to pay them without having to deduct PAYE tax.

In most instances, National Insurance contributions will still have to be deducted.

Cheers,

Anna