This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Opening up a bar?

Hi everyone,

I am a new member so thought I would see who else is thinking about or has already opened their own bar, restaurant or nightclub?

I managed an independent student bar at Uni for three years and made it very successful. I believe that with the right location I could adapt the bar to a city centre environment. Does anyone have any experience in this field who could give me some advice? Mainly with financing as I am newly graduated and have limited funds.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Best,,

Jonathan Fox
Shell LiveWIRE Team Member
Hi Jonathan,
First off, welcome to LiveWIRE! This forum is made up of a great community of entrepreneurs who are always ready to lend help and advice. I'd suggest first going into My Business Kit (http://www.shell-livewire.org/my-business-kit/preview) and selecting the 'Public House' Business Opportunity Profile. This will give you a great overview of the basics of setting up a pub/bar. There is also a very helpful PDF in this section that takes you through the writing of your first business plan. You might also want to take a look at our Business Library (www.shell-livewire.org/business-library) for guidance and links to a lot of other useful websites and resources.

Hope this helps!
erin.kinnee@shell-livewire.org
Shell LiveWIRE Team Member
Hi Jonathan, welcome to the forum!

Erin gave you some good advice above. The business Opportunity Profiles are really quite detailed and helpful.

I would definitely recommend making an appointment with your local Business Link (Business Gateway if you are based in Scotland) advisor www.bgateway.com They will be able to help you put together a business plan and usually have a list of local properties that are available and may be suitable for your venture.

Best wishes,

Anna