This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Entrepreneur
Idle Domains

Hi,

I own a number of domain names that are currently laying idle. Can anyone recommend the best way to use them to generate income - no matter how small?

Cheers,

MT
Connector
Do they have any backlinks or traffic?
Connector
Setup a Google Adsense account and put some adverts on them

However, if no-one is visitng the idle domains, then there isn't much you can do..
Guru
i know this will obviously depend on the domain but is there something you can put on it? A mini-site for information, a game, anything that will attract visitors.

The other avenue you could consider is selling the domain. Is there a company that owns a similar domain/other extension.

I have sold a few domains by being pro active and approaching companies i thought might have a use for it.

Hope this helps

We Also Have A New Business Printing Shop
www.ardeerdesign.co.uk/shop.html
Entrepreneur
Thanks for the suggestion guys!

I have recently parked them with Sedo but no revenue's been generated. There's no content and I also got one valued and apparently it's worth approximately £2000.

A couple of the domains are: www.efficacepro.com & www.travelafrica.org.uk

I am tempted to use something like joomla to create a mini-site with content as suggested by Ardeer, and use google adsense to generate revenue as suggested by Mike.

Any suggestions on content wouldn't go amiss!

Thanks very much!

MT
Guru
hi MT

I think the travelafrica domain seems to have a lot of potential (it stands out for me anyway) and there may be a few more specified options for making an income from this domain.

Without having looked into it, it may be worthwhile creating the content with the view to attract your own advertisers (as well as adsense). I.E i am going to be developing a website for my local area (as the local tourist board doesnt seem to promote anything in the locale) and ill be contacting hotels, restaurants and tourist attractions to sell advertising space.

Now, of course its difficult to sell advertising space to companies in Africa from the UK, but perhaps travel agencies would be interested in some space. Im sure if you made the site a place for people to visit if they are thinking of going to Africa, then the businesses and people who want to attract people to Africa would advertise.

i hope this makes sense.

all the best

We Also Have A New Business Printing Shop
www.ardeerdesign.co.uk/shop.html
Connector
It's only worth parking them at Sedo (or anywhere else) if they have got traffic. The traffic will come by virtue of backlinks from other websites, high search engine positions (which will soon drop off if you've parked it) or type-in traffic (if they are good domain names that people will just type in). If you don't have any of those, you're wasting your time really.

You don't say which domain has been valued @ £2k or where you got your valuation from, but I'd be very sceptical about that

Your best bet with the two you've mentioned is to write some useful, relevant content about African holidays/travel and then work on getting it indexed in Google. Use the Google UK Keyword Tool to see what people in the UK are searching for related to African travel and use that as your basis for writing different bits of content and titling your pages. Add to that a few backlinks from other sites (you've already made a start - your first one is up there!).

Once you've got it into Google and are getting search engine traffic, you can then look at monetisation of that traffic - be it from Google Adsense, Affiliate marketing of holidays or some other forms of advertising.

You may find this thread over at Acorn Domains interesting...
Guru
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you're really not going to make any money from those idle domains.

Cashparking is pretty useless as chances are you'll be getting less than 10 - if any - visits each day.

Others suggest writing relevant content with the view to getting it indexed highly on google...but that's call 'building a website'...which is the only way to get traffic and money from them. For example, writing an article on 'travel in africa' will be nice...but you'll be on the 100th page of results when compared to lonelyplanet.com, for example.

I've always thought that affiliate arrangements through cashparking and holding pages are a total red herring. No traffic = no money and no content = no traffic. You're best bet is to actually build a good and useful website and monetise that: there's absolutely no money to be made through holding pages unless you own thousands of them (like the domain registrars do).
Entrepreneur
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the opinions.

I have a couple of other domain names www.hotelgambia.co.uk & www.hotelafrica.co.uk, so I have started to explore what I can build to generate revenue. I might look into the possibilities of brokering hotel rooms.

Does anyone know what functionalities will be required? CMS, Payment Processing facility perhaps etc?
Try to create the accountsin google Adsense and adbrite then advertise on them..
Entrepreneur
Cheers James.

Does anyone know if it is possible to reduce costs by creating a number of websites (using the same template) and linking them all to one online hotel booking & payment processing system?

Thanks.