This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Connector
Education Vs Business

Hi everyone,

Like many forum members on here I am in education and im really stressed as I have so many exams coming up

I know that education is very important however is that just a myth now?

Constantly I get told that getting a degree is not that valuable anymore but its the experience that has more value.

If you have not gone to Uni how have you found it so far in terms of rewards do you regret it?

If your in education do you think you will continue or drop out?

It would be great to get some thoughts

Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/mrgashiuk
Entrepreneur
Hiya,

i think it's defo different for everyone. Although i don't knock degrees uni wasn't for me. I attempted it three times but something always came up (my daughter's birth for example) or my heart wasn't in it anymore so i never went on to complete what i started-just wasn't meant to be. I would rather have my own business which is what i am trying, albeit very slowly, to achieve as i do not want to work for anybody else and because i would rather do something i feel strongly about and would put more effort into.

If you are in college then i suggest you speak to a career advisor, family and friends for advice on how you are feeling and which route to take-ultimately it is your life and you should follow the path that suits you and this does not mean a degree neccessarily.

If you feel passionately about an idea you have then i would say go for it as you'll never know otherwise and ultimately university will always be there to return back to if need be.

Hope that helps.
Connector
For me, education was a waste of time, the friends i had going into college i had when i left, the qualifications i recieved i havent needed for any job or work i do now, everything i do for my business ive learnt myself in my spare time - so for me education was a waste.

Doesnt mean its the same for everyone though, alot are very education based and ultimately very succesful - just how it worked for me meant education did sod all to my prospects or career goals

Colin Jarvis
Jarvis Web and Graphic Solutions
colin@jarviswebandgraphicsolutions.co.uk
Connector
I feel that education is very important, although experience means so much more in the real world, it can provide excellent grounding in basic theory.

I thought education was a complete waste of time and left school with no qualifications, although i progressed in work through a variety of trades, I went back to uni when I was 35.

When I left I had quals in business law, marketing, enterprise, accounting, communications and ICT (foundation level not degree) which enabled me to move into senior management, in the last 12 years I have been both Director and Chairman of a £10Million regeneration company, managing director of two building companies, development manager of a development trust and owned my own business.

Prior to uni I had two businesses go bust, due mainly to my lack of basic management skills, which uni gave me.

Stick with uni, its worth it.
Connector
Good eduction is extremely valuable. In my personal example there is no way on earth I could do my job without having studied long and hard and trained my mind to think and retain information.

But you only get out of it what you put in. Often its about learning how to learn and think well, not about the specific information that you learn at the time. Its also about proving you can work on your own independently, and not wimp out when the pressure is on.

Everyone gets stressed with exams, take a break go for a walk, but whatever you do don't quit unless there are extraneous circumstances (a good friend of mine deferred for 12 months due to contracting ME for example)

When you have got through the bit you are at now (not sure if its A-level of you are at uni) then sure make the appraisal of the next stage that is right for your circumstances, but if you are in the middle of it all you can do is see it out and prove to yourself that you can do it. You just have to knuckle down and get on with it sometimes. Now is not the time to meditate on the usefulness of it!

Do I use any of the A-level maths I learnt? Not a shred of it. Did it help me get into Uni? Yes! Did it help me get my first job? Yes! Did it help me think? Almost certainly.
Connector
I think tis interesting how were seeing both ends of the story, with my own point earlier however it wasnt an intention to defer people from education, more just a point that if you dont have uni qualifications and such, you can still succeed.

Colin Jarvis
I'm 23 now and started as self employed when I was in my mid teens. I gave up being self employed when I was about 21 (ish) because I didn't like the uncertainty of income anymore, compared to my friends, who knew exactly what money they were getting from their employed jobs. Also when I was 21, I decided that I wanted to return to education to do a language degree. So at the age of 22 (after some messing about), I became a "mature uni student" doing a German Degree with English Literature.

I know for certain that a language qualification will open up doors for me in the areas of business that I ultimately want to end up in and without that, I don't think an employer would give me a second glance, experience or not.

I would highly recommend staying in education for both personal social experiences and the knowledge that comes with getting a qualification in a specific area of interest. I'm coming up to the end of the first year very soon and I have loved every minute of it. The time has gone by really quickly and the only regret I have is.... that I didn't do this when I was 18.

Take care

Entrepreneur
well im 18 and dropped out of college to earn some money to set up my 1st business, iam working for my dad who owns his own company.

Sometimes i do wonder whether i made the right choice but i was doing 7-9 some nights with college then work to be able earn enough to live.

So i think i made the right decision
Connector
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkiePVFC View Post
well im 18 and dropped out of college to earn some money to set up my 1st business, iam working for my dad who owns his own company.

Sometimes i do wonder whether i made the right choice but i was doing 7-9 some nights with college then work to be able earn enough to live.

So i think i made the right decision
Mate, only time will tell whether its right or wrong, experience is different for everyone and works for some but not for others

Colin Jarvis