This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Go Back   Shell LiveWIRE Discussion Forums > Shell LiveWIRE

Starting Out
Selling advertising in a not for profit magazine..

I work for a registered charity and Volunteer Centre in Scotland. Last year locally we launched a not-for-profit Youth lifestyle magazine that created an opportunity for young people in Scotland to volunteer/write for a publication that they could call their own. Although initially launched locally it has been well received not only in our area bit throughout Scotland with us creating good links with some important groups including Young Scot, The Scottish Youth Parliament and has seen volunteers from all over the country contribute to the publication.

With an initial run of 2500 we have just done a national pilot of 6500 but our target is to have a circulation of 25000 per quarter.

It is currently distributed through schools, colleges, universities, local volunteer centres, youth groups etc.

As a not for profit magazine we only need enough funds to cover the printing costs and distribution as all of the people working on the publication are volunteers however with us not having a sales team I am finding selling advertising within the publication very hard as it is not my background.

Does anyone have any advice or know of any companies within Scotland that sell advertising on a commision base?

You can view the publication here

www.issuu.com/thebanter/docs/the_banter_march_09
Maven
Our sister company publishes 3 magazines in different sectors for chartiable groups. Their magazine is designed, printed and distributed free of charge - one of which is in scotland. We look after the advertising. If you want to drop me an email on connor at velvetrising.co.uk I'll give you a call and discuss it with you properly
Connector
Hi there,

Sounds really good have got to admit

Connexions Leicestershire produce a magazine that is distributed around schools and colleges they do 30,000 a quarter, they are funded by the government but also by local businesses.

I think you could sell advertising on there no problem, speak to the schools and colleges that you are handing them out to, if they have got any open days etc.. let them post something there for a fee,

Also speak to councils about anything that they have going e.g swimming lessons that they might be running charge them a small fee, try youth groups, football clubs etc...

I think there are numerous ways in which you can do it

Pop down to Business Link and see if there are any grants that you are entitled to

Good Luck!

Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/mrgashiuk
Connector
The obvious advertisers are connexions, learning & skills council (or scottish eqiv), local councils youth service, highlands & islands enterprise.
i could help

Hi toontoon4

I would be able to help you out with this do u have a email that i could contact u on. Or you could contact me jason@monkey-golf.com

www.Monkey-Golf.com
Try talking to big and small businesses around Scotland and your local area that have products and services that would suit your market, e.g. Video Game Stores, hairdressers, Toy Stores etc.