This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Starting Out
Can't decice which way to go

Hi,

I'm looking at a couple of different ideas for businesses that I can start doing in my spare time whilst still working full time. I can't decide which one to concentrate on and don't have the time or resources to properly run and market all of them.

My main skills are in photography, web design and IT support so those are the three I'm looking at.

I've done some free photography for models and have an ok portfolio. I could also do product photography. Or get some nice landscapes I've done and try and print them and sell at craft fairs perhaps.

For Web Design I know what I'm doing but only currently have one live site in my portfolio. I should have another done at the end of February. although I could offer discounted sites to build it up (I'm sure a couple people here would be happy to pay 50-100 say for a basic site).

IT Support - I'm not sure about the market for this at the moment or prices so I'd need to research it a bit further.

None of these really require much investment - I have all the software I need for web design and I have a good SLR camera.

Any comments would be welcome, perhaps something I haven't thought of or possible problems with any of these ideas.
Starting Out
I'm in a kind of similar situation my two skills being Web design and IT more so IT support, repair and builds etc. At the minute I'm looking to just concentrate on getting my web design business set up and going got a few sites currently in progress for some clients then hopefully I want to set up another business dealing with IT repair and builds. I would say just try to focus on the one which you think you're best at and the one where your clients will be more satisfied with.
As for the market of IT support it depends on what services you would offer over-the-phone support, online or actually hands-on fixing the machines and setting up networks etc. It mainly depends on what the market is like in your area for instance there are only one or two places that offer IT repair in my area and one of those is PC World which many people don't use because of their inflated prices. So have a look in the yellow pages for some research and have a look at a few of the businesses, even ring up for prices to see how much they charge, it's a bit cheeky but just pretend you know nothing about PCs

Chris

Please visit: (Homepage Under Construction)
Starting Out
I was thinking along the lines of basic repairs, upgrades, general system housekeeping, online privacy help etc. I'm more software support but I can set up wireless networks etc and a lot of people seem to be moving to wireless at the moment.

I thought a collect and return service would be a good idea as well.
Starting Out
Collect and Return is good idea because if you are just running the business from your house and not from a shop or whatever it would look a bit unprofessional and some people might think twice.

Please visit: (Homepage Under Construction)
Connector
Re: Can't decice which way to go

Quote:
Originally posted by thecornflake
IT Support - I'm not sure about the market for this at the moment or prices so I'd need to research it a bit further
Join PCIQ.com
There are other such IT support websites as well
Connector
Why not become a graphic designer? Anyone can do that, it's easy.

Starting Out
Out of interest (probably a stupid question) how would you take payment for providing PC support at people's homes? Would they be expected to pay straight away or would you give them an invoice to pay, say, within 14 days or something?
You should check out some stock image sites in your spare time.

You upload your portfolio (Ideally works that are free of any rights etc) and get paid a commision when somebody buys the image.

It's never going to bring in life-changing cash, but it could be a nice little earner over time - especially if you have a large collection of "editorial use" work.