This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Your Home Office

What's you home office like?

Apart from being nosy, and wanting to see how people work, im also looking for insperation for my own.

Working on a laptop at the end of my bed, with a folder under my bed filled with paper's isn't very good business practice!

So, whats it like?

Post pictures to if you like.

I reccomend using www.tehupload.com to host them.

All the best,

Chris =]
0700 594 23 53
christopher.phillip.king@googlemail.com, or click here to generate an email!
Connector
I have converted one of the three bedrooms in my house to an office, as the room itself does not suit a double bed and easy viewing of a TV!
The room itself is about 12' x 8'

There is a built-in wardrobe, which is just full of empty boxes, suitcase, and so on!

To the left is a large computer desk
This is used for the laptop, it's printer, and charging of batteries
To the right of that is a small two tier metal filing cabinet

On the right of the room is a second computer desk
This is where the main computer resides, along with the printer and SPV dock station
Under this desk there is another small one-tier filing cabinet, in the same tasteful finish as the computer desk
On that wall are three cork boards, each 3' x 2; split with a Long Range Planner between them
Each main company I work for has its own cork board

I did have a leather chair, but it had to go
I's temporarily been replaced by a more basic office chair, but will hopefully be replaced early in 2009 !
Connector
External Access

Mine is in the loft.

It's a large space of about 20 x14 which I only take up one small corner of as I don't really have much of a need for paperwork.

Its just a small desk, filing cabinet, two small cupboards and some shelves above with box files on and printer beside me.

Nothing particularly pretty to look at hence no photos!

There is a second desk and pc across the room, but that's just for the kids to use really. I did have a work experience girl on it for a few days this summer however.

By the spring/summer I'll be moving my operation to a separate office building at the bottom of the garden, that will look like this below. I can't wait!

The interior will be modern yet cosy and include two desk stations as well as guest seating area. It will allow something like up to around five desks should I ever need them - I'm deliberately choosing fairly big so that I don't have to be constricted in the future should I decide to expand. I don't want to regret my office choice.

At this point I'll be forcing photos on anyone who will look as I intend to make quite an effort with the interior.

As it will be seperate from the house with seperate external access, it means for the first time I can feel free to attract local clients (and associates) and invite them to visit should they wish to meet with me. Hence the need to make an effort with the interior.

So local design firms watch out, I'm going to start treading on your turf! ha ha

For the space challenged take a look at my blog, there's a great space idea in there from Ikea at the bottom of the blog - http://www.trulyace.com/blog/general...oling-in-ikea/

Amanda
I use to have an office now I am supposed to br situated in the conservatory, but it is way to cold this time of year, so I am constantly in the kitchen at the table.

Amanda your new office is a great job, I would so love one of those. Good luck getting into it for summer.
Connector
Well it's a pre made model

Well I'm not building it myself or anything ... I'm acquiring it from Booths - http://www.boothsgardenstudios.co.uk/

I did a lot of research and found so far that after looking at about 50 different suppliers this is the best value for money v's attractiveness of the models.

When choosing something like this one must bear in mind to be comparing like for like when thinking about areas such as;

- Level of security of locks.
- Degree of insulation (most cheaper suppliers fall down in this area I've noticed)
- Internal decoration (included or not?)
- Internal links to electrics, internet and phone (ie how easy it to connect the unit to these items)
- Guarantees after build and longevity of the building
- Whether the building will require planning permission
- How long it takes to build and is construction included in the cost... are foundations required or included.
- How portable is the building should you want to take it with you if you move. Probably not that important for most people, but worth thinking about.
- How much maintenance the building will require.
- Floor space for your money.
- Style/garden compatibility

Amanda
Connector
I work out of my home and very comfy it is too

Maven
Either.....

either you spent 10 minutes making the desk tidy before you took that pic or you're a freak!

Confess, which is it!?!?

Simon
Maven
Quote:
Originally posted by openmind

Nice chair...looks comfy...where did you get it I need a new one?
Connector
Re: Either.....

Quote:
Originally posted by simonr
either you spent 10 minutes making the desk tidy before you took that pic or you're a freak!

Confess, which is it!?!?

Simon
Neither. I'm just organised
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by SophieM
Nice chair...looks comfy...where did you get it I need a new one?
http://www.euroffice.co.uk/
Maven
Organised is one thing....

....but that level of neatness is obscene! You're raising the bar for the rest of us and pretty soon we'll all be expected to be that tidy! Do us a favour and make a mess, quick!
Connector
Thing is that the only things on paper are invoices, everything else is on the comp so no real need for **** everywhere
Entrepreneur
Quote:
Originally posted by openmind

Your office looks great, mines not quite that tidy :O(
I have to many books and paper on mine
Connector
What you cant see is just behind Phil's desk is the 2 feet of mess he has cleared up to take the pic.

Id post my office pic up but it looks like the window has been open and a strong wind has scattered piles of paper around the place.
Maven
Quote:
Originally posted by James Smith
What you cant see is just behind Phil's desk is the 2 feet of mess he has cleared up to take the pic.

Id post my office pic up but it looks like the window has been open and a strong wind has scattered piles of paper around the place.
ha ha, like most solicitors and accountants, organised but messy, My solicitors office always looks like someone has emptyed the cities paper recyling into his office, and its a stroke of luck if you can actually find him in his office amongst the folders and papers.