This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Which one?

Im hoping to start up a t-shirt company based in Wales...

It's only going to be small, well at least to start off with, see how things go.

So becasue it's only going to be small... am I able to start up as a Sole Trader?

And also, as a sole trader am I still able to tradmark/copyright my logo? Or would I have to be an LTD company first?

Any advice would be great, I'd also love to hear from anyone in this field of work as well

Thanks alot

Sarah
Starting Out
Hi Sarah,

Good luck with the business.

You can set up as a sole trader, I think this would be the best option for you at the moment.

I think you can trademark as a sole trader.

Cheers, Lou

twitter: @cocktailpr
Connector
Re: Which one?

Hi Sarah

Quote:
Originally posted by SenoritaSarah
[b]Im hoping to start up a t-shirt company based in Wales...
Good luck!

Quote:
So becasue it's only going to be small... am I able to start up as a Sole Trader?
You can start as a Sole Trader or a Company. Which one you chose will depend on your business model, the amount of income you think you might get, the extent of your liabilities and a whole host of other things. My advice would be to get your business rolling first, then speak to an accountant for advice on whether it's better to incorporate.

Quote:
And also, as a sole trader am I still able to tradmark/copyright my logo? Or would I have to be an LTD company first?
You don't have to be in business at all to trade mark a design! Copyright is something that the creator of an original work holds automatically so if you designed your own logo, you already own copyright.

Mark
Connector
Trademark not copyright

Actually Mark they said 'trademark' their design.

Copyright is different from Trademark.

So whilst they will of course be the copyright owner to their logo design that doesn't make it an officially registered 'Trademark'.

Trademarking your company name and logo does offer extra protection against those who may seek to too closely emulate your image within the same industry.

More information about trademarking at; http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tm.htm

EDIT: Just noticed they said trademark/copyright so were referring to both, hopefully it's now clear that there is a difference between copyright and trademark.