This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Maven
Fitted Home Offices

Hi guys

I am wondering out of interest, how many of you who work from home would consider a fitted home office? . I do not mean the ones that are out there at present for £6000+, but if you could get an affordable one for £1000, solid wood
with wall and desk units, fitted to your space?

Currently I am doing my own after getting sick of ill fitting units that never fit into
your home space and I will now be making the most of the floor and wall space
and could offer this service to others on a pre-designed basis, flat pack basis
or installation could be arranged.

Just an idea really, as there must be a few of you who would love the fitted look
without the huge price tag associated with fitted offices.

Thanks in advance
Marc
Connector
I think there is a market for this - its currently sold very much as a premium item..........however the question is how long it takes to actually do a decent design and install for an office, so whether or not the price is actually a fair reflection of the time and costs it takes to do it right. ie if you can make some ££££ out of it. Id be very surprised to get much for £1,000 if its solid wood unless you have a mate who is about to come along with a new user name and tell us about their site (groan)
Maven
Hi James

I used to have nearly 800+ posts here, but when the forum updated/revamped my login no longer worked and then it came up as this one, very odd, and something i need to speak to the tech guys here about at some point.

No url's coming from another user, sorry :-) just an idea of mine, I was thinking the idea up as I was planning my office. I have made some good contacts at large suppliers who have their own factories and for the size I am doing, I could make a profit at £1000. I will do some photos as I go, with a before and after, probably take 3-4 weeks from design to delivery/build.

Installation would be more, but if they wanted to put it together themselves it would be quite straight forward and "ikea like" but all made to fit their actual space.

The one I am doing is oak, could possibly do a laminated one slightly cheaper, or you could go to high gloss doors on solid wood units for a bit more. Like i say it is only an idea I am doing for myself at present, but think its a good idea for the masses in the budget market.

Thanks for your reply.
Marc
Starting Out
Howdie

James your far too negative : ) either that or you have seen too many fake posters on hear!!

personally i think its a great idea i have looked at fitted offices and they are much more than the 1k mark.

with all the increased fuel and energy prices its only a matter of time before company's allow more staff to work from home as it will clearly save them £££

and with the current state of the economy (scare mongering appart) companys will be looking even more to save

just my opinion
Maven
Just looked at my first post on my laptop and it does look spammy in its layout, unsure why its messed up, possibly because I posted from a MAC originally?.

If I keep you guys upto date with my home project, then take it from there. See what you think of the job. I am also mastering some office cad software for a virtual view before the client orders. Like I say, just looked into it all for my own office really and then thought others would be interested :-)

I will get a website set-up to show you the photos etc.

Thank's
Marc
Connector
Cynical? Moi?

Afraid so. Sorry was rather tired.

I do think there should be a market for this type of service if you can market it right. If it can be built by the end user this would keep the cost down hugely. Offering "kits only" or "with install" would probably be sensible. The real question to me is whether you can get bespoke sizes for a "off the shelf" price when doing it commercially.

If you can then might well be worth a go.
Connector
I was looking at getting something on these lines when i moved house but there was not much i could get done under £20k and most of it looked wrong for the style of house. (budget is about half that) It all looked like a fake old reception desk at a hotel if you know what i mean.

The problem i have is i need large draws and map draws and all kinds of things that suit me but arnt standard so the costs went silly and it didnt match the rest.
Maven
Hi Charles / Moneyman

What size roughly were the biggest draws you needed ? (depth and width)

You could do quite a lot with high quality laminated units and laminated doors or even real wood units and doors and solid oak worktops, and it would not have to look like scrooges office or a fake reception, quite easily be modern.

Kind regards
Marc