This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Advice Re: Emailing Press Release

Hi there,

Can any PR people give me a pointer please? I am doing my own PR and have a press release I want to email out to contacts, my question is.... What should I put in the subject of the email?
Should I write Press Release or something else... I don't want my email to be deleted without being read so any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Ali
Connector
personally I would make the title catchy and something that will make them want to read on, or the subject of what you are sending!

hope this helps

Forum Administrator
Shell Livewire
Entrepreneur
I'm currently doing a press release and was thinking the same. Don't know if anyone can help, but Its the 1st time I have done one and was wondering if anyone would be interested in checking it and seeing if I have put the right things in.

Sometimes think it would be better to employ someone to do it...hehe

thanks in advance
Guru
Hi we have some useful information in the Be Your Own Boss Section available via the homepage - www.shell-livewire.org

You'll Find 'Press and PR, under Sales and Marketing in the Be Your Own Boss Section.

Maven
If you dont want your email to be deleted then follow this process - none of which include the subject line.

1) Call the contact first - never blanket send press releases - they will get binned
2) on the call - discuss you release, but remember to ask if they have enough time to speak first off.
3) Tell them you will send the release (if they approve) and you will follow up with another call in a few hours or tomorrow to see if it fits with their work.
4) pray - journos are nice people, but they get inundated with releases. Be forceful but not pushy & really be excited about your release - without sounding like your reading a script
Connector
Might be worth dropping a line to Andy at 10Yetis. Some of his stuff is excellent, from what I have read on their site. Just mention this forum and I'm sure he'll find it in his heart to spare a few minutes of his time for you (just in case he's reading this!)
Guru
We blanket blast ours aplenty... :-) and then call...

Regarding subject title, go for something catchy, first few words in caps so it stands out for example; "NEW AND UNIQUE PRODUCT NAME HERE - launches in the UK"
Don't sweat about making it funny or clever, just make sure it gets over what you want it to.

In the main body of the email, put a brief, 2 line summary and then copy and paste the email into the email, under your email sig and contact numbers.

Hope this helps.... not going to put a link in this post, but from 2-4pm today we are running a free PR Q&A on our Facebook group.

Don't want to upset anyone by posting the link, but you can find instructions on how to find the group on Facebook by visiting our blog.

Andy
andy@10yetis.co.uk
01452 348211
Guru
Shane... we are connected in the mind! Posting at the same time jinx!!!!!

Cheers for the kind words.
andy@10yetis.co.uk
01452 348211
Thanks everyone for the advice.... will let you know if I get any bites!

Ali