This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Connector
Talk about USP!

A piece of furniture that reflects the "fragility of modern marriage" has been designed by a Northumbria University student. A "divorce cabinet'' which you can saw in two in the event of a marriage break-up is the brainchild of final year 3D Design student Alexandra Tinning.

Alexandra, who has a passion for 1950s furniture, came up with the concept after looking at the differences of living today compared to the 1950s. One of the stark differences was in the number of divorces.

Alexandra said: "For thousands of years, men and women's roles were clearly defined. However, with the freedom of change has come the uncertainty of what to expect from each other. The divorce cabinet is the result of designing for today's culture.''

The 1950s-style cabinet comes with its own saw and features pre-drilled cut lines across the top to mark where it can sawn in half. The cabinet also has pull-down legs so that each half of the cabinet can become a functional piece of furniture when the couple separate.

Alexandra said that the tongue-in-cheek design was inspired by the high-profile divorces such as Paul McCartney and Heather Mills-McCartney.

Forum Administrator
Shell Livewire
Connector
hmm I can see that going down well in the shops.

"Darling lets get this - and when you have an affair and the judge awards you the house, kids, half my pension and the majority of my wages until I am 102, at least I will be able to get half the furniture!"
Connector
It still doesn't solve the problem though, who gets the saw?
Maven
LOL! reminds me of those DFS (?) sofa adverts with the couple sawing the sofa in half, i had always thought those were terrible because 'acrimonious divorce' is really not the subliminal message you want your customers to get from you.. seems I was wrong ; )
Maven
Has it come to this?!