This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Company registration

Hello!

I'm a keen photographer and was thinking of setting up a website to sell my images. The thing is I'm not sure if I have to register as a company first in order to do so? Or, if I don't have to would it be a good idea to?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Connector
using a limited company is usually a method to limited your liability if things go wrong, but only works if you dont do something negligent or illegal.

it also involves a great deal of form filling for inland revenue, which can take up a lot of your time or cost more in accountancy fees.

unless your clear about why you would want it, then dont do it.
Maven
Hi,

To sell a few photo's online you certainly do not need to register yourself as a limited company.

You legal status would be a sole trader, however, their are requirements, if you start making an income from the website you need to register your business with the inland revenue (within 3 months of setting up I still think it is)

Also, how do you plan on accepting payments online, do you think you may need a business bank account, are these photo's for download or are you going to post them out etc?

Alan
Shell LiveWIRE Forum Admin
Thanks for your advice, its much appreciated! As I feared I could end up paying out more to be a company than I end up earning through sales!

I will be accepting payment through paypal and posting the prints out to customers. Would I need to be a registered company to have a business account?

Thanks again!
Maven
You would not need to be a limited company in order to get a business bank account with a bank.

There is no need in theory to have a business bank account, as your paypal can be linked up to any account, it just makes it easier to see what is going in and out.

Alan
Shell LiveWIRE Forum Admin