This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Maven
Struggling with a font to choose

Hi guys, struggling at the moment to choose a font for my website. I don't really like Verdana, and Arial and Times Roman seem to old fashioned. I really liked Sergoe Print but doesn't seem to work on most browsers and now I am trying out Tahoma. But just not getting the right feel from the text.

This is a strange thread I know!!

Anyway would like to hear of other fonts that are deemed good on websites....I want something relaxed if that makes any sense...?

May help to see my page, and project. Thanks

http://www.buythemap.com/Plooka
Hi Frenchiexno1,

Your choices regards web fonts is pretty limited, assuming your users have only standard operating system fonts installed (which you have to) you can't really go beyond the following Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif if you want your site to look professional and readable.
My site uses CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) to define the fonts for the HTML markup, you classify these like so within CSS:

font-family:Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

This basically means use Verdana if it's available, if not use Geneva, then Arial and so on.

These are clean true type fonts that the majority of sites will use for the text within the site, if you want to use different fonts (including those you may purchase) these should be kept to a minimum and used for tag lines, logo text, feature letters etc and should be created as an image (i.e. gif, jpg etc) and included on your site, that way users won't need your font installed. Sticking to the standard fonts for your blocks of text also makes sre your site is accessible by the visually impared.

Hope that helps,

ll
Connector
There's also Tahoma which is a widely available one. If you want to use a fancy one, do use a font-family CSS tag, and back it up with more standard ones like Verdana and Arial. Just make sure that your site will look ok if the browser has to fall back onto these fonts as a lot of people these days use Macs/Mobiles/iPhones, etc to access websites and so will not have the fonts that are common on all windows machines.

netInspired - Website | Application | Database Development

View Phil Rae's profile on LinkedIn      
Maven
This has been great guys (I know shell is not a web developers forum) but this has really helped me. I never understood why dreamweaver listed 4 fonts in one go, and now I do - they are a family!

This will prove useful knowledge going forward.
Connector
Helvetica won't be standard issue.