This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Entrepreneur
Creating Graphics for a Website

Hi all,

Im in the process of creating a website for my business. I want it to be lightweight as its mainly for information purposes.

I've decided to use XHTML with CSS. I know how to do all the coding but when it comes to the graphics im a bit stumped....

There are loads and loads of free CSS templates available but I want my website to be unique and have my own logo design etc. I know I can do this myself rather than hire someone.

I was just wondering if anyone uses applications such as Macromedia Fireworks, Photoshop etc and if they are good to use to create logos, graphics etc for websites.

Also any tutorials on how to do this or pointers to what you done in the past would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Connector
I use MS Paint, HP Image Zone, and/or MS Photo Editor for all my images and logos
Guru
Hi,

I use Fireworks and have no complaints with it. Its all fairly intuitive even to someone who isnt a graphical designer and in any case, you can google for tutorials etc should you get stuck.

Cheers,
BBM
Maven
Hi kaizer7

Photoshop is very good but I find Adobe Illustrator is often better for logo designs as, due to it being vector based, you can resize it to any size very easily. I know plenty of web designers who use Fireworks to produce layouts but it is not software I am overly familiar with myself (although I plan to use it more in the future)

I'd also recommend taking a look at a couple of lesser known applications for web design graphics: Xara Xtreme (www.xara.com) is unbelievably fast for vector work and has a basic photo editor built in.

Paint Shop Pro (www.jasc.com) is also another good Photoshop alternative that may be easier to learn.

From a personal point of view I've found myself using Xara Xtreme more and more these days for web design graphics and logos. It is very intuitive and it is easy to change bits as you go along.

Hope this helps
Phil

Dorset web designers, website hosting, domain name registration, graphic design and search engine optimisation from Impression Internet

Web Design | Hosting | Domain Names | Print Design

25% off all hosting packages for Shell LiveWIRE users,
enter the code SHELL at the checkout for the discount!

Connector
Inkscape is a very good vector based application and is open source: http://www.inkscape.org/

Alternatively, if you have a budget, Fireworks is excellent for web graphics and Illustrator is the best for logo design and vector based graphics.
Entrepreneur
Fantastic replies guys

I will look in to these, but im really interested in the opensource application.

Thanks all!
Connector
I use Paintshop Pro and also Xat image optimiser.

Free Business Advertising | UK Business Directory
Local Business Directory | UK Business Directory | Free PC Tools
Lifetime Links | Cooking Recipes | Dessert recipes | 10,000 directories
Connector
Vector all the way. There should never be any compromise when it comes to logo design.
Maven
Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle
Vector all the way. There should never be any compromise when it comes to logo design.
agreed, skimping on logos and brand identity could cost you a whole lot more in the long run.
Guru
Started with Jasc Paint Shop Pro...thought that was good...but then found Fireworks...thought that was great.....but if you want to real deal I'd say get the Creative Suite.....Illustrator and Photoshop (the latest versions) are the business.
Connector
Vector Importance

Definitely make sure the logo at least is vector.

If its not vector when it comes time to print it out you will hit problems and only have to pay for someone to convert it into a vector image so you can print it clearly at any size.

Vector Images Info: www.trulyace.com/scalablegraphics.html

Best Wishes

Amanda
I use photoshop mostly.