This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Go Back   Shell LiveWIRE Discussion Forums > Shell LiveWIRE

Connector
HP - I want to take legal advice-Sales of Goods Act

Hi,

I've had an awful lot of problems with my laptop- I only bought from them becaise I thought they were reliable.

The orginal warranty was 1 year, but beacuse of the number of problems they have had they have extended it for another 6 months.

I'm currently having issues with a loop restart/ power loss during use, and on average it takes around 12 minutes of start/ stop restarts before it actually boots- what that does to the harddrive I shudder to think.

I'm thinking of writing them a letter stating my concerns- defective product etc- but am not sure if I can ask for a refund or replacement under the Sales of Goods Act 1979- given the laptop was bought on credit from a third party.

Any ideas?
Connector
If you have already returned the product for repair, the chances are you won't go for refund or replacement, but much depends on the level of warranty they have provided.

If it is simply a repair warranty, then you will have trouble trying to get out of it, just keep returning it to them for repair.

Take your warranty to Citizens advice and ask them to help, alternatively, write to the Chief Executive of the company you bought it from and complain.
Connector
If you bought it under your business name then the Sale of Goods Act doesn't apply (it's only for consumers, not businesses).

If you bought it personally then you're in a better position.

What have HP said so far about it? Given what you've said it's clear that there's a problem - have they offered to fix it or anything?
Maven
bb99,

Would you send me an email at web20showcase@gmail.com, I'd like to talk to you about something concerning your website.

Thanks!
Maven
It all depends on what your warranty says but standard IT equipment would normally be on a break/fix warranty, meaning that if it has a problem they fix that one problem and send it back to you. Unfortunately it is very rare for them to replace the whole laptop unless it is dead on arrival.

Your best bet it to just keep sending it back every time it has a problem. If it's HP I doubt they would do much troubleshooting and just replace the part they think is faulty. If you send it back enough times they may replace enough parts for it to be virtually a new laptop anyway!

Obviously its a complete pain to do it that way but will probably be less work than trying to get a replacement out of them!
Connector
Hey,

Thanks for your answers

The laptop was bought for personal use, all the payments etc go from my personal account, not from the business.

They have fixed it every time so far, but with the way it is- i just want a new one, and I don't mind using consumer power to do it.

They have sold me defective goods, but possibly given the time issue I may not be able to do anything.
Connector
OK if you're a consumer (which you are!) then call Consumer Direct (http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/aft...hts/computers/) and tell them all about it. They'll tell you exactly what to say in your complaint letter etc and how to reject the goods under the Sale of Goods Act.

Don't bother getting it repaired if it's already gone several times, you've lost confidence in it and their ability to repair it.

Nailed
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by bb99
OK if you're a consumer (which you are!) then call Consumer Direct (http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/aft...hts/computers/) and tell them all about it. They'll tell you exactly what to say in your complaint letter etc and how to reject the goods under the Sale of Goods Act.

Don't bother getting it repaired if it's already gone several times, you've lost confidence in it and their ability to repair it.

Nailed
Just what I needed- thanks!
Maven
Is it a problem with the retailer or the manufacturer? as its nothing to do with the retailer as its a manufacturers warranty. And you shouldnt have accepted the first repair you should have demanded a replacement then as its on a basis of repair or replacement not both and once you have accepted a repair its within their right to repair as many times as they like. But as with anything if you push hard enuf they will cave in but always be professional about it.