This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Entrepreneur
How much to charge?

I am going to a produce market to sell my cupcakes.
I am not sure how much i should sell them for.
I was going to sell them for £1.50 when my online shop is done. (this is what other cupcake companies charge).
I know i cant sell them for that at a produce market but i was thinking maybe £1 each.
Here is a picture of my cupcakes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/17650584@N05/2131297118/
How much would you expect to pay?
What is the diameter of them? Hard to tell by the pic.

Entrepreneur
They are 2.5" in diameter. Slightly bigger than a fairy cake.
Connector
£1 for 1 cake!!!?? I honestly don't think you'd sell many if any at that price, 50p would be the absolute max for me.

I'm intruiged, when you sell online, are you selling the ready baked cakes or sets to make them??

Laura

>> Coffee Tables
Entrepreneur
Hi,
I will be sending them ready baked and decorated to customers nextday delivery.
Hi SunshineCupcakes:

To be honest at that size (2.5 inches) a pound is a little too high for me to be interested in. Maybe at 75p tops, but do you have a minimum order number to make it worth your while? and also how much is P&P on top of that?

Connector
That is what I feared!! Now I'm usually reasonably diplomatic but I'm going to me a little harsh with you here, I think that is possibly the most crazy idea for an online business I've ever heard of.

Please do one thing for me, before you spend any time on your web business please send yourself some of your cakes next day delivery and see how they arrive. If Royal mail get them to you with topping still intact and they're not the thickness of an envelope then it would be a miracle.

Did you know that the minimum next day delivery charge for packets is £4.30? Why would someone want to pay £4.30 postage for a few cakes that will be stale within a day?

I would stick to food markets etc...maybe approach food shops in your local area....but the internet is definitely not the way to go .

>> Coffee Tables
Connector
I think you can get "Bakin Boys" range(cookies/cakes) by post, but that stuff virtually glows....... Costs a minimum of about £14 I think too.
Connector
In all honestly its very difficult to say how much I would pay without sampling the goods should you wish to send a couple over as I would obviously need to do a bit of quality control checking so 1 wouldn't do my office address can be found at - http://www.bluecubemedia.co.uk/contact.php.

On a slightly more serious note, would you pay 1 for one of you cakes if someone else were selling them especially at a produce market, correct me if I'm wrong but i would expect to pay more at a market than I would in the shop.

Just my thought

Regards

Nathan

Latest Projects - Loudmouth | Make Up Artist Of The Year

Contact - 0121 314 0390 | info (at) bluecubemedia.co.uk | Website Design Birmingham
Entrepreneur
Laura,
I have already figured out how to post them so keep your unhelpful nasty comments to yourself.
If my business idea didn't work then i obviously wouldn't have spend hundreds with my business adviser.
The minimum order for buying online is 24 cupcakes, and they dont go stale within one day. They have a shelf life of 3 days.
Quote:
Originally posted by SunshineCupcakes
Laura,
I have already figured out how to post them so keep your unhelpful nasty comments to yourself.
I don't think her comments were either nasty or unhelpful.

The fact is, in this day an age, fresh produce seems to go off within a day or so and to be honest I did have the same thought before Laura posted it. So if Laura and I have both had the same thoughts, no doubt a lot of other people will too, so maybe this will be something you might want/need to clear up on your website, paperwork etc.

As you know the postal service (regardless who you choose to deliver your goods) is not always perfect, resulting in lost and damaged goods, so there might be an issue with that.

Majority of people on this forum keep their criticisms constructive and the ones I see who don't, will have an informal email asking them to keep them so.

As an added note, how much is it to send a customer your minimum order?

Connector
I have a great idea for crupcakes, although I don't feel it's discussion would really be for this board.
Connector
hmmm why would someone not just buy the ingrediants and make cupcakes at home themselves. they could make a massive batch themselves for price of one probably from your site
Also seems that people only buy/eat cupcakes when children have made them ?

I don't mean to be negative I just think that online isn't the way to go for cupcakes
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by max99
hmmm why would someone not just buy the ingrediants and make cupcakes at home themselves. they could make a massive batch themselves for price of one probably from your site

I don't mean to be negative I just think that online isn't the way to go for cupcakes
I think crupcaks could work, you just need volume, and the sort of mass production, to make it possible.

I think if I saw those at a food fair, I'd instantly like to sit down and try one.
Starting Out
Quote:
Originally posted by max99

I think it is a good idea and good way to go. It's not something you see everyday (which is great), they're cakes (everyone loves them), and they can be sent perfectly fine in the post. Not every parcel goes through the letterbox.