This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Connector
a bit lost at the minute

basically heres whats up-

I started university last year and have just started my second year and have noticed that the course really isnt for me and I really fancy the challenge of starting up my own business in web design / design for print / logo design etc but that thing is
a) im only 19 (will this matter?) I consider myself mature enough to do it
b) would I have to get licences for all the software I use and will it all have to be genuine
c) help!
Connector
As for your age is doesn't matter all. I've just turned 19 and started my own business last year. It all went well, and I actually got offered a job at another Web Design company, which i took as they were a much bigger company than I was so I knew I would be better off.

Web Design is a very saturated market - I think it will quite largely depend on where you are - as big cities are even more saturated than the smaller ones.
Connector
Hi,

If you register online with Shell LiveWIRE at www.shell-livewire.org, you will be able to download two booklets - 'Market Research for the First Time' and 'Writing your First Business Plan'. You will also be posted a factsheet dealing with your particular business idea (Web Designer), plus you will also gain access to all the information within the Be Your Own Boss section of the site.

To register at www.shell-livewire.org, choose 'Click to Register' below the briefcase on the left-hand side of the homepage.

Shell LiveWIRE Team
Connector
Hi Bone,

My business is all you have mentioned above, also yes you will need to buy licences otherwise its breaking the law, lol

Im only 20 myself, don't let age stop you, and 19 is more then old enough.
I've only been going a four months and things are going well, takes a long time to get going, but once you do theirs no stopping as long as you put the hard work in.

But don't forget to think about it, I mean your in your second year at Uni.

Regards
Brett White
Adventures in Creative Design
Connector
the uni course is really no good though because I already know flash and photoshop etc whihc we have had a few siminars on and they are teaching us simple stuff like drawing spheres and it really is depressing. we also have to do essays on subjects with no relevance to the course such as philosophy. I just cant seem to get the motivation to go anymore.

cheers for the help so far though, gald I came across this site
Guru
I personally don't think age matters, its the idea and the motivation that counts. However I do think it is important to get an education - have you thought about doing both?
As you say you are doing stuff you already know and it sounds asthough you could do it with your eyes closed!
You could just use it to your advantage and get a degree out of it, which if all else fails may/may not benefit you in the future....at the end of the day you've nothing to lose!

good luck in whatever you decide
Guru
also remember in most uni's attendence is NOT mandatory! If you complete the work and hand in on time, you're sorted! There was this one guy on our course who never turned up, however he completed his work/attended exams - and got a 2:1 !
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by kng
also remember in most uni's attendence is NOT mandatory! If you complete the work and hand in on time, you're sorted! There was this one guy on our course who never turned up, however he completed his work/attended exams - and got a 2:1 !
the none attendance stuff sounds good
Guru
haha, it does doesn't it??!

basically if you find it a breeze doing the work, then you should count yourself lucky as you will be able to get on with more things!

its all about motivation to a certain extent, why did you want to go to uni in the first place, weigh up pro's and cons, its not too late to change your course either!

Its not that i totally think that getting a degree is the answer, as i've got mates who have never been to uni and have succeeded in getting top jobs (maybe they're just lucky!), as i said before its all about motivation - how you apply yourself in education and the real world

just make sure you give yourself time and be happy, you've done the first year and believe me the rest of the time goes sooo quick
Connector
One more designer

Don't worry about market saturation, I'm in this market and am doing fine, I've been in it 11 months now.

Don't forget your market is not just local, its the entire world!

I never see my clients face to face ever, I gain them from the UK mainly, but also the US and Europe.

Use this wonderful thing called the world wide web to gain clients from everywhere you can, you can't think that theres not enough room in the entire world for one more designer ;-)

Regards

Amanda
Connector
I have looked at all the options over the last two months, I think I went to uni due to having no other options at the time and it was the easy option but now I've seen other things an the wider world and realised lifes too short to be messing around with soemthign I dont wanna do+ uni's got my confidence down a bit since I started
Connector
I would never advise against anyone aiming for what they dream of but the one note of caution I would give you is to consider having the degree as a fallback.

Uni courses are structured so that you are left with a lot of free time (during which you're supposed to study!!) but this could be time you spend cultivating your own business. Leaving Uni with both a degree AND experience will set you apart from other graduates. Large, good-to-work-for firms will look favourably upon you. Also, you may be the richest student on campus as you learn and earn!

University resources are good to use and the creative side can be stimulated by other like-minded people at Uni.

Should you decide not to join another firm but go it alone, then I know from experience that letters at the end of your name can open a few more doors than normal.

Ultimately this is a decision you make yourself but don't rush into it. Conisder as many different option sas possible.