This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Guru
Patent

Hi All,

I have an idea for a new kind of child safety product that I think would sell like hot cakes - I have searched the web and can find nobody selling this kind of product at all.

This product could be easily copied unless I could protect my idea with a patent or similar. Does anybody have any advice or experience in going through this process?

Thanks,
BBM.
Maven
You can register your patent at the Patent Office. Patents protect your invention for a maximum of 20 years. They are enforced by legal action and you can get damages and an injunction to stop further infringement.

For more information I would recommend ordering the free patent information pack that the Patent Office produces.

http://www.ipo.gov.uk

The Process:

The Cost:

The normal amount we charge to process a UK patent application is GBP 200.

It is free to apply for grant of a patent
* GBP 30 (application fee) for a preliminary examination
* GBP 100 for a search
* GBP 70 for a substantive examination

Time?

A typical patent application takes 2 to 3 years to grant, we can accelerate the procedure at the applicants request. There is a maximum time limit of 4 years from the application's earliest date.