This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Maven
up and running feedback welcome

Hi, i haven't posted much lately due to being very busy with the new business. It's actually me and my wife that have gone into business . Not full time yet though!!

Here's the website, any feedback will be greatly appreciated positive or negative. I designed and built the website around my full-time job.....I'm so knackered after spending every spare minute on the website and this is just the start lol

www.weddingdayessentials.co.uk
Connector
snatton - I've dropped you an email. Hope it helps.
Connector
Hi Snatton,

Congratulations on getting your business up and running - as you say that's just the start....getting exposure is the difficult bit!

I've had a quick scan of your website and although it's a very good start I think it could do with a few improvements. My suggestions would be - starting from the top:
1) It's hard to see the logo on top of the image, I would flip it round and have your logo on the black with the image to the right
2) Not a fan of the "paint box purple" you've used for the nav background, why not tie it in with your logo and use the purple colour used in the text, I think that will give the design a slightly more professional edge
3) NEVER underline text unless it's a link, this will just frustrate users. Your titles stand out enough just being a different colour or size
4) The copy is nicely written but you've spelt "stationAry" wrong (e for envelopes!)
5) I'd get rid of the nasty oscommerce icons - they just spoil the design
6) For your images to show perfectly without any pixelation you need to ensure that their widths are the same as their heights (just something to look at)

A few points for SEO:
1) You need to chnage your title tags so the keyword ie. "Wedding Stationery" comes before "Wedding Day Essentials" also have a think about how these appear in Google etc....try to think of titles that are a bit more enticing ie. would you be more likely to click on "Wedding Stationery" or "GREAT OFFERS ON WEDDING STATIONERY"?
2) You need to add meta descriptions to every page ASAP
3) On your home page add a short paragraph about each of the services offered in you left nav. Put each of the titles between an <h2> tag and create a link to the page in question using keywords in the link text.
4) I see you've already created a sitemap - good work. You also need to create yourself a txt file called robots.txt and put this in your root directory. Put the following in the file:

Sitemap: http://weddingdayessentials.co.uk/sitemap.xml

(This will ensure that msn and yahoo can pick up your sitemap)

That should give you a bit to be getting on with! Hope that helps.

Laura

>> Coffee Tables
Maven
Thanks so much for the feedback, its very good. I'm in the process of updating the product pictures so they are less pixelated, one of my priorities was to keep the load speed down.
I'm no web designer (professionally anyway) so your feedback is greatly appreciated. I will get onto the points raised asap.

Just had our first couple of orders this week- one for umbrellas and one for chair covers - its a strange feeling thinking that someone is really relying on you .... but i love it.

Laura, your SEO tips are brilliant and REBLO i will reply to your email mate, cheers.
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by DeterminedOne
Hi Snatton,
2) Not a fan of the "paint box purple" you've used for the nav background, why not tie it in with your logo and use the purple colour used in the text, I think that will give the design a slightly more professional edge
2nd this, instantly has me squinting as it's not kind on the eyes.

Congrats on getting online and all the best.

Belinda
Connector
Just a quick question, does adding meta tags actually make any difference?

Search engine wise didn't they stop being used around 3 years ago?
Maven
thanks for the comment, can you tell me which browser you were using? The website looks different in certain browsers ...

thanks
Connector
Hi Eco,

The title and description meta data is very important however the keywords aren't a big deal any more...

Laura

>> Coffee Tables
Starting Out
Hi, agree with lots of what's been said.. including the purple :-)

More than anything, I think you could boost the feel by concetrating on getting great pictures done. Even learning how to tweak the ones you've already got would help a bit:

Since competition for online sales is massive, what is your USP? Like, in one sentence, why would someone buy from your store rather than another?

www.mukaumedia.co.uk I blog
Maven
Hi mukaumedia, thanks for your input.

I've just updated the pictures of all the flower bouquets shown in the online store. Its just finding time to tweek the others aswel. I like what you done with the photo, I use photoshop to modify the photos but it is just so time consuming, but i guess it will pay off in the long run.

I understand what you are saying about needing a unique selling point, i find this can be very difficult to express over the internet as most of our products can not be done justice in a photo, i.e the quality of the craftsmanship. I suppose putting some macro photo's of our stationery would help a lot.

thanks