This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Connector
Too many sales?

Anyone here had problems which have occurred from a business being too successful?

As in too many sales, and you struggle to keep up?
Beer Bottle Designer
Viral golf game
Maven
I wouldn't say we get too many sales at this time of year but we do have to put in a lot more hours for a few weeks.

If we only worked 9-5 we would be leaving people without products.

14 hours or more aren't unusual at the moment. Luckily a lot of the work can be done whilst watching tv!!
Connector
Nope not at all as the vast majority (80%+) of my products run on AIS (Automated Income Streams)
Connector
I experienced it recently and it's a pain. One client I postponed until the new year and a couple of others I had to turn away (no doubt to a competitor).

I think I'd rather turn them away than take them on when I know I'm going to struggle to deliver; but I suppose the best move is to get into a position to scale things up for next time.

Mustn't grumble though... of all the problems one could have it's not the end of the world .
Connector
Re: Too many sales?

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuartebdy
Anyone here had problems which have occurred from a business being too successful?

As in too many sales, and you struggle to keep up?
Should perhaps be looking to improve capacity or deal with existing orders - not posting on a forum

(kidding )
Connector
I guess for your type of business this will be your busiest time of year by miles and in Jan there will be a very different story. The trick for next year must be to gear up in such a way as to be able to dispatch large quantities in a short space of time,

For this year apart from flogging it all hours you can, dragging in as much help you can from family and friends etc (which no doubt is what you are doing in any case) you need to ensure you still deliver a good core service (so people come back) or you risk damaging the business longer term. For the demand you cant cope with you will just have to say "no" we cant take on any more pre-Christmas orders. However rather than losing all these leads how about offering a (say) 15% off voucher next year if they come back but make it valid only when its an early order (ie before mid November) so you have plenty of time to deliver it and still cope with late demand.

Hope that helps, and well done on all the orders!

Regards,
Connector
Apologies guys.

It wasnt me that I was talking about! Luckily we brew the beer in house and have pallets of wine and champagne ready to go.

It is true that had we not had faith in how busy we would be, we would have ran into that problem and I have been speaking to a couple of companies locally who have run out of stock.

I was just wondering if any of you guys have had this problem too?

I think it may be one of those problems small businesses may fall into by not having the cashflow to buy more stock, or perhaps not wanting to risk buying in lots of stock.

One of the girls I was speaking to imports containers from China which cost her 75k a go, and they take 6 weeks to arrive. Imagine that frustration?

Stu
Beer Bottle Designer
Viral golf game