This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Connector
BT.net Any servers/hosters having trouble?

Seems to be a problem with the BT.net network timing out on a lot fo services/servers/hosting (they control a lot of network for servers all over the place)

Any of you guys seeing trouble with them?

Tried traceroutes and getting errors on them too, last 30 hours or so
Connector
I can't say I have, but I did just reply to a forum post asking about network problems... When I traced the address it seemed to be taking quite long once it hit the Pipex network. (largely on BT wires).
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin
I can't say I have, but I did just reply to a forum post asking about network problems... When I traced the address it seemed to be taking quite long once it hit the Pipex network. (largely on BT wires).
Pipex have their own network. Their ADSL runs on the BT network, but that won't affect servers hosted in their DCs.
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by RichardJohn
Pipex have their own network. Their ADSL runs on the BT network, but that won't affect servers hosted in their DCs.
lol... You love replying to my posts

Pipex own Fibre do they? The only other company which has substantial amounts is NTL:Telewest.

Running a network, and owning the lines are two different things entirely.
Starting Out
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin
Pipex own Fibre do they?
Yes...
Quote:
The only other company which has substantial amounts is NTL:Telewest.
Tiscali, Telia, NTT, Fibrenet, Global Crossing, Kingston, Level3, Thus, Cogent, Cable and Wireless to name but a few.

Putting the thread back on topic, BT have a service status page you can check for any problems here:

http://www.btbroadbandoffice.com/bus...B_Home,00.html

www.ukservers.com - UK Dedicated Servers Limited
Connector
You got there before me, but yes - Pipex have quite a substantial network.
The consumer broadband part of Pipex is now part of Tiscali. Pipex don't provide consumer broadband any more.
Connector
Those companies provide Global IP networks. (not substantial end user networks inside the countries) Mostly DC to DC.

C&W owned Bulldog, which was sold to Pipex. Pipex (ISP) itself was sold to Tiscali. C&W kept the wholesale on the LLU (BT). C&W has extensive operations worldwide but is very much second to BT in the UK.

Whats left of Pipex is not operating a nationwide network of any kind. (Pipexgroup.net) But Freedom4 is developing a Wimax network in a few (3) cities.

Tiscali UK is built off the back of BT and LLU.

NTT, Global Crossing, and Cogent have operations to London, Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh Belfast... Not extensively throughout the UK. Level3 to London / Manchester.

Global Crossing owns Fibrenet.

Kingston is using BT...

Thus is using BT under the Demon brand.
Connector
In that your post, you said that "once it gets onto the Pipex network". The point is that this Pipex network isn't related to Pipex ADSL (which does use the BT network).
When you see .pipex.net in a trace route, the packet is at a Pipex data centre. Pipex most definitely do not use the BT ADSL network for transit between their data centres.
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by RichardJohn
In that your post, you said that "once it gets onto the Pipex network". The point is that this Pipex network isn't related to Pipex ADSL (which does use the BT network).
When you see .pipex.net in a trace route, the packet is at a Pipex data centre. Pipex most definitely do not use the BT ADSL network for transit between their data centres.
Wow did I ever at any point say ADSL between DC's... I can see I should pick my words very carefully because I know how much you love to pick me up! Hence the repeated replies to my posts and not the thread.

Yes I did say once it hit the Pipex network, I never at any point said it hit the datacentre. I already knew not everyone was effected thanks to others - hence it wasn't the DC but on transit.

You read into a lot more than I ever wrote in those 2 sentences!