This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Connector
Can I protect using IP?

Hi All

I know of websites such as www.patent.gov.uk and commercial patent agents but I want to hear YOUR views.

I believe that you cannot patent a business idea but if I launch a web based sales service for large companies apart from being the best is there any protection to stop others following very early on?

Could I use a particular gimmick that could get IP (Intellectual Property) rights?

Also, a company makes a particular product which I want to use in a different way for an idea of mine. They will license the technology but can I patent an idea that is an exisitng product used in a new way?

If you are a professional in this area in Berkshire, Surrey, London, Essex, Hertfordshire etc please let me know.

Thanks

Vending Solutions from Vendesent.co.uk
Entrepreneur
I have heard of a court case inolving this exact situation, and anyone I have asked about it who is 'in the know' doesn't think it will get anywhere.

McDonalds don't sue Burger King for selling burgers. Coca Cola don't sue Pepsi for selling cola. They might sue each other for anything else they can think of, but that's about it

I'm not sure of the patents on code etc. but if there is a certain piece of code that is unique then get it patented. Alternatively, and this may shock you but it happens all the time, put a patent through for any pieces of code that might be patentable anyway. It may not get granted but the application takes about 3 years if I remember right, during which time the application will do everything a full patent would in terms of protecting the idea. That gives you 3 years before anyone else can do the same thing in the same way.

In the meantime, get anyone involved to sign a nondisclosure agreement. That should at least keep everything safe until your site's ready to launch.

Regards,
Justin
Connector
Thanks Justin. Just what I was looking for.

I love your website and would like to speak to you nearer the time regarding some designs.

I will email you later.

Vending Solutions from Vendesent.co.uk