This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Starting Out
Marketing lists?

Hi everyone!

Anyone have any experience with marketing/email lists? I was chatting to a friend who is thinking to use them for her business, though i would be wary of their accuracy and would worry about pestering potential clients.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has used them, what companies they used, costing and success rates?

Also, would the approach differ when dealing with individual consumers over companies?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Lisa.
Connector
One of my clients purchased a mailing list of several thousand email addresses from a well known and supposedly reputable company.

Sent their email out and got promptly reported for sending spam.

The problem with these lists is that they cannot be kept up to date in so far as reminding subscribers they are on the list and will receive information to that address.

Nominet have the right idea, every other week I get an email reminding me I'm on the list and offering the option to unsubscribe...
Connector
Spot on advice Phil

You have to be very careful when purchasing email lists from brokers otherwise you'll get burned and cause your email provider some serious hassle.

Personally if you do purchase email lists you have to make sure you provide a very easy method for people to unsubscribe from the list, a clear link at the top and bottom fo the email is a must.

Also I would personally remove ALL hotmail, yahoo, btconnect, tiscali etc etc email addresses from the list. They're unlikely to be big businesses and its very very easy to report email as spam from within these web based email providers.

Just remember, as with direct mail via Royal Mail, these people arn't expectint to hear from you so either they will delete it immediatly, it will get blocked as spam if you're not on their approved list or they will report it as spam and cause your host untold grief.

Just my 2c worth. Good lcuk

Steve
Guru
Hi,

Used to use a company based in Wales I still have my account and stuff for another 9 months but just dont use it anymore
Maven
With email campaigns you sould generally work to a 25% open rate and then apply your expected conversion rate %.

eg.
send out 1000 emails
expect 250 opened (25% open rate)
expect 13 enquries (5% conversion)

IPT are pretty good, also have a useful free book on email campaigns: http://www.ipt-ltd.co.uk/the-big-boo...mail-marketing

Hope this helps
Starting Out
Thanks to everyone who took the time to advise... some very interesting points.

I personally am not a fan of being contacted out of the blue so have revised my plan to target a very small number of specific people, who have previously expressed interest in services such as mine. I have also decided to a postal campaign rather than email, since i wont be targeting a mass of people anyway. This way it seems more personal, and hopefully wont get me in anyones bad books!

Again, thanks to all of you.

Kindest regards,

Lisa