This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Go Back   Shell LiveWIRE Discussion Forums > Shell LiveWIRE

View Poll Results: Time for the government to act on royal mail ??
yes 9 100.00%
no 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Connector
Time for the government to sort out royal mail ???

hi martin i so disagree , i contacted uclan 4 doors ago and they sent me my application pack for the advertising on that day , which they have confirmed , and as of today havent recieved and thats just an item from in preston itself , which of preston their has been no flooding, no railways closed and no need for local royal mail to use them, have an extemely good bus service here , closed roads ok their is some work going on around preston still dosent explain a letter sent over 4 days ago hasnt arrived.

and reading this in the paper today

ROYAL MAIL TO SCRAP THE MORNING POST

now they tell us i dont get mine til 3pm everyday regardless of what they do

almost all business and homes in britain will NOT recieve morning postal deleiveries under new royal mail plans. Currently, 94.4 per cent of people get their mail before noon, with many before 7am!!!!!!!!!! But under new proposals, part of a consultation on the postal service, nobody would recieve their mail before 10.30am with 60% of people having to wait at least until midday.

article in the daily mirror today inside page
Now, I'm pretty certain that these proposals are part of Royal Mail's modernisation plans - so now there's a bit of a conflict. The postal workers are striking, in part, because of the modernisation plans, so they're most likely against this proposal.

Also, I don't receive my mail till 5pm anyway - when I get in from work.

However, I agree, the postal service should be re-nationalised (as should most public transport). A service like this has a duty to carry out lots of unprofitable work, and that's never good for a private company.

One thing to remember is you get what you pay for; If you want guaranteed next day delivery by 9am, your options are:

Royal Mail 9am: 9.30
City Link 9am: 23.75

(I couldn't find anyone else who offer that service for letters).
Connector
Re: Time for the government to sort out royal mail ???

(10 August 07) I had to read up on this latest news - but your reporting of it here failed to mention the new "Heavy Lorry" EU directives.

I take it every other mail group also uses lorries? And as such will have their own problems with this directive. (Just not reported)

(6 June 07) The next nuggut - "But the industry regulator Postcomm has ordered that the last collection for most mail boxes should take place after midday."
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/ar...0&in_page_id=2

(25 July 07) And another - Royal Mail could lose its tax exemption status.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/1ea3e152-3a4...client%3Dopera

So as you can see - no one is helping RM... But look at the demands made of it... You want investment - the government (or regulator) wants tax.... You want early deliveries - the EU want slower lorries and Postcomm later pickup times.

How is RM meant to win? Answers on a postcard too...lol

I'm not going to comment on your letter - because its pointless and could be down to any number of reasons, not least that it wasn't sent by RM. (I'll laugh if it turns up with a TNT logo in the top corner )
Connector
Re: Re: Time for the government to sort out royal mail ???

Quote:
[i]. (I'll laugh if it turns up with a TNT logo in the top corner ) [/b]

you wont be the only one lol
Connector
Strangely I've not any problems with RM - my mail turns up at about 11-ish every day and is pretty fast. No complains here!
Connector
Labour's approach would be to throw several billion at it, then have a review... throw a few more billion at it as they didn't budget properly.

Then the final outcome would be less postmen, less sorting offices and drop saturday deliveries...

You can get paid for your friends playing games on your site:

http://www.uvme.biz/74994GA
Click on the link and watch the video.
Connector
Royal mail are hopefully going to lose out to other competitors who WANT to offer businesses early morning post.

The home service in thsi part of cornwall is pretty good, normally about 9.30-10 am.

I wouldnt want to have to wait till 5pm :/
Connector
When I were a lad, mail was delivered around 7am without fail. Second post was around 10am. Without fail.

Royal Mail should be stripped of their Royal appointment - in the main, they're a bunch of lazy, incompetent slobs. They're a rip-off too.