This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Maven
Market Segmentation

Hey. I may go off on a tangent here as I am thinking aloud. but wondering how to segment a market for an internet cafe.

Now I assume (i know assumption is the mother of all f*** ups but.....) that I will have a broad customer base. but I am thinking that I will be targeting mostly families, travellers and students.... can I segment that more do you think???
I think that families will mostly be mums with max of two pre-schoolers and will use the cafe when doing their shopping in town

Travellers who just arrive in the town to catch up on an e-mail and they will have travelled alone

Students who are into gaming so they will be male and typically in between the ages of 18 and 23

is that specific????
Connector
I guess it depends were the cafe is based, is it in a A/B area or a C/D/E, who are the people that use the town he most, and what hours are you thinking of being open?

One question, if students have internet access at home, and in college/uni, what makes you think they will pay for yours? What kind of add ons are you offering to entice them in?

I really don't mean that in a nasty way at all, just want you to think about it.

I'd try and target people travelling through a town, loads of Internet Cafe's in Cornwall for exactly that reason.

Hostel's and Backpacking website's may be a good place to advetise for that, or you could sponser a forum, depends.

Alternativley you could pay a company to do Market research for you, I did my own research and backed it up with a 30 page report about the current market, competitors, what age, sex, demographics etc they were.

If you want me to email you report I had I can.

It cost me £90 and was by far the best investment I made.

It cleary etablished a potential market with growth, which helped me belive in my idea, and more importantly meant my funders belived in my idea.

I used http://www.enterprise-edge.co.uk/ they are a local authority company, set up with Objective one, quite well respceted and not just some fly by night cowboy set up.

Best of Luck!
Maven
Slightly OT, but..
If you are targeting people with small children, I think you'd be best to offer things for the kids to do while the mum is on the computer - I always avoided places like that since I knew my daughter would get bored quickly and run around pestering people/breaking things/hacking the Pentagon.