This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Entrepreneur
Restaurant Business

Does anyone own/run a restaurant as I would like some advice in this area
Entrepreneur
...specifically - what type of spending relative to turnover do you spend on promotion and what types of promotion do you find work best?
Connector
Have a look around this site, http://www.bplans.com/sample_busines...ve_summary.cfm

I quite often just have a read through some of the business plans on there just for interest
Entrepreneur
Hello,

What sort of advice do you need? I've just finished all the branding, design and advertising work for a trendy new restaurant in Chester so if you have any questions about this side of things give me a shout . . .

Amy :0)
Entrepreneur
Sorry, just read your second post properly, not quite woken up yet! :0)

The restaurant in question organised a big launch night with free tasters of the food and champagne, a couple of local celebs turned up which was great for publicity.

The restaurant is a little hard to see from the road as it is up on the second level so a simple A board works really well to draw attention to it and is inexpensive. If you have any special offers such as a lunch offer on this is a great way to draw passing trade.

I also produced ads for the local paper to raise awareness and corporate discount cards which encourage regular custom from local business people.

I can't really comment on relative spending but none of the above are particularly expensive.

Hope some of this helps....
Guru
Have you ever worked in a restaurant? I worked at Pizza Hut during my student years- that really was an experience that opened my eyes to how successful businesses should be run. Everything was orginised to the nth degree in the restaurant, from kitchen design, to maximising profits, to staff training, to motivation. If you could get some work experience there it would be worth it.

Also, one of Gordon Ramsey's programs had a series where he went to failing pubs/restuarants, looked at where they were going wrong and turned them round to become profitable businesses. I'd get that series out on DVD and watch it.

Good Luck.
Connector
I would second the person that asked if you have had experience in the business. A good friend has managed a few restaurants and it is not something i would get into without thoroughly researching/experiencing as it looks like a complete nightmare (just my opinion).
Entrepreneur
can you tell me specifically where the business is going to be based...
knowing the region and specialities would help...

what type is it...indian, chinese?

thanks
Maven
Quote:
Originally posted by Image Shed
Also, one of Gordon Ramsey's programs had a series where he went to failing pubs/restuarants, looked at where they were going wrong and turned them round to become profitable businesses. I'd get that series out on DVD and watch it.
That was an interesting show ("Restaurant Nightmares" might have been the name).

A lot of his advice was really solid:

- differentiate yourself

- have a great product

- provide a really good customer experience

- bust your 'nads to get people in the first time (even at a loss) because repeat business and word of mouth is what it's all about in the restaurant business

I'd second Image Shed and say it's worth getting the DVDs if you're going to open a restaurant. They should pay for themselves many times over.

Finally, at least once in the program, he mentioned the %ge of restaurants that go out of business each year and it was huge.

So make sure you've got your act together before you get started.

Steve
Entrepreneur
Thanks for the advice and comments. Reason for asking was to help judge the market for a restaurant promoting service - had good feedback from actual restaurants so going ahead now - though do still jump inwith advice if you have any!