This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Go Back   Shell LiveWIRE Discussion Forums > Shell LiveWIRE

I feel like im hitting my head against a brick wall...

I am really wanting to start a business online, i have researched the likes of NI, how to start up etc but its finding the correct idea that im struggling with.

Is there a way out there to find a gap in the market for whats needed at all???

I have a couple of ideas upto now being....

1) Cards for all occasions/Gift wrap etc

2) Wooden Toys

3) Importing childrens merchandise - toys, clothing etc.

Can i have any tips for going into all this e.g ideas - are they any good?? etc , i have had a read of a couple of websites but just stuck as when someone asks me what im thinking of i tell and get told...hmmm not very good or needs to be more unique etc.

Thanks
Connector
Hi slimmer ,

I dont know alot in reference to the above, but can agree with you on the whole knock your head against a brick wall!! I have been there , spent years doing it but i worked it out and in the process of launching my own business for the first time, still banging my head against a brick wall over advertising issues , but getting there. My advice dont give up , were there's a will there's a way.

good luck
dave
Hi there,

thanks for the words, they have helped, my head just spins like there is no tomorrow lol

I guess i will get there in the end
Connector
[quote]Originally posted by slimmer
[b]Hi there,

thanks for the words, they have helped, my head just spins like there is no tomorrow lol

i know the feeling have the same problems at the moment, with the spinning head thing lol , and off course you will get there.

any help you need drop me an email.

many thanks
dave
Connector
Re: I feel like im hitting my head against a brick wall...

Quote:
Originally posted by slimmer

1) Cards for all occasions/Gift wrap etc

Thanks
visited the gift fair in harrogate today and i dont understand how many people are in this business. If you are looking for niche i think this area could be quite full - i am sick of seeing cards today. That said the number of companies in this area suggests there is a market so always room for one more i guess.

When you walk past stand after stand even the 'different' ones all look the same.
Connector
The gap

You don't need to find a gap really - when I started out in graphic designer there were and still are millions of designers - that doens't mean there isn't space for me.

Alot of startups seem fixated with finding a gap, finding something new and it seems to stop them from starting anything at all.

Whilst it's nice to do something original, it's not essential to starting a profitable business.

Amanda
Best thing to do is something you have an interest in.

No matter how hard things get atleast you have the consolation of doing what you like.

It doesn't have to be niche, just do something, faster, better, cheaper...

If you do things that your customers will appreciate then you will begin to grow and get a name for yourself.

Trust me I've been procrastinating since 2002...now that I started, sure it hasn't been easy...many sleepless nights (because i work fulltime in the day too)....but i'm leaving my job soon because I'm getting enough work from my business to be able to leave now...i've already faced many obstackles that tested my desire...some things even like finding decent card processing services have really stressed me out but I know things will work out...

Pick something you like, ask yourself what you can do better than the rest, make and plan and do it!
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by ridster

It doesn't have to be niche, just do something, faster, better, cheaper...

Pick something you like, ask yourself what you can do better than the rest, make and plan and do it!
sure that was the old NASA quote which preceded some mission failures.

agree you should do something you enjoy though and not just look for anything cos you will be spending a hell of a long time on it.
lol actually its taken out of some millionaire books...
Brilliant you actually told me what i actually thought but was asking others and i was told you need something different etc etc.

Thanks ever so much you have sooo helped me out