This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Go Back   Shell LiveWIRE Discussion Forums > Shell LiveWIRE

Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by openmind
I've offered in the past to upgrade this board free of charge, buying the new license at my own expense, but the offer was turned down.
Quote:
Originally posted by moneyman
i have even offered to pay for a new site and set up a prize for a competition but nothing ever happens.
Says it all really...
Maven
the only reason i can see for locking the thread was the challenging of the sites admin.
some forums i go on if you challenge them you'd get banned.
on one site a breakaway forums been created with most of the major contributors leaving, and joinging that which wasnt too good for business.
Connector
I was instructed by IT management what to respond and too close the thread - if you feel strongly about private messaging please contact me or management direct

Thanks

Emma

Forum Administrator
Shell Livewire
Connector
Emma, with the greatest respect, we are contacting you via the forum so it can be bought out into open discussion.

If we just emailed you or IT management which has said first it was security problem then a community issue, then others would not have the chance to respond.

Kinda goes against the community feel don't you think?
Guru
lets all go on strike
Boycott shell-livewire!
Nah that would be sad... there is a good community on here... but for how much I don't know....
Starting Out
they use vbulletin version 2.2.8 which is how many years old? A new licence costs about £130 so is not greatly expensive and with the vast amount of web experience here the upgrade could be free and hassle free at that.

I am unsure as to why they would not want to upgrade given that vbulletin 3.5 is so flexible.

I think upgrading would enhance this place massively and draw a bigger croud as people would be less put off by the lack of features, sub forums etc etc.
Connector
Quote:
Emma, with the greatest respect, we are contacting you via the forum so it can be bought out into open discussion.

If we just emailed you or IT management which has said first it was security problem then a community issue, then others would not have the chance to respond.

Kinda goes against the community feel don't you think?
Maybe I'm missing something here, but the main qualms about the forum I have read relate to the absence of a PM facility and the odd bit of confusion created when someone has links removed from their posts under the self-promotion rules.

I'm certainly nothing qualified enough to say what standards are seen acceptable in forums these days. From my perspective, the fact that we are able to post a request for advice/opinions and also to give our advice/opinion, means the forum is serving it purpose. The fact that a few people abuse the system, to the annoyance of others, is not the forum's fault. It has always existed in this form, and it worked fine - in my opinion.

So, perhaps this is as good a time as any to put some practical and constructive proposals forward that can be looked at by the Shell admin/tech team. I will personally email the team with these proposals and will then report back with their response. Hopefully this will appease some of you that are unhappy about certain things.

If nothing else, at least I personally will be enlightened on the subject.
Connector
Sorry Matthew,
I was just writing my previous post whilst you posted yours so your suggention was not reflected in what I wrote.

I will however consider it as one of the proposals I have asked for.
Connector
Shane, I've already done that multiple times in the past, the sticky at the top of the forum has been running for 18 months, I've offered to pay for the vBull license in the past, other members have offered help, how much do Shell admin need??

This is getting frustrating now as I love this place but I feel like I'm banging my head against the proverbial brick wall
Connector
Phil,
Have any constructive or practical reasons been given for not following your proposals? I'm assuming you have had an answer given?

I can sense quite a bit of friction and antagonism within the board recently, and I feel it maybe comes from a lack of detailed answers being given on certain issues. Hopefully, if we can put together some reasonable proposals I may be able to get reasonable answers or action in return. Either way, the tension needs to go!
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by shamrocker
Have any constructive or practical reasons been given for not following your proposals? I'm assuming you have had an answer given?
Not answers that have been constructive no. The fact that the last thread was just locked without allowing further discussion got right up my nose hence this one
Quote:
Hopefully, if we can put together some reasonable proposals I may be able to get reasonable answers or action in return. Either way, the tension needs to go!
I hope so too and if you need anything from me just shout...
Connector
This forum is very inconsistent:-

Spammers can get away with posting obvious links: http://www.shell-livewire.org/forums...threadid=17809

Long contributing members request site feedback and receive a snip + warning: http://www.shell-livewire.org/forums...threadid=17939

Head Office comes along and informs another member that they can ask for site feedback: http://www.shell-livewire.org/forums...threadid=18091

It is the luck of the drawer in this forum!

Connector
It seems regular members are just giving feedback from their experience of using the forum. Bringing it back to a business level a friend of mine recently had someone in his office who basically ripped his procedures apart. Now my friend was angry as nobody likes someone coming into their house and telling them how things should be layed out but ultimately he put aside his ego for a bit, saw a lot of the comments were valid and is now changing a lot of his systems so his business can run more efficiently. Negative feedback is extremely valuable and not something to be brushed aside.
Connector
Hi Laura,

I've only held the position of moderator for a week or so, whilst the thread was last month. What seems clear here is that the board wasn't being scanned by the mods the way it should have been - otherwise it should have definitely been picked up. I'm sure that flagg person has posted similar stuff before, or even since that post. Anyway, I think the problem was the lack of moderator coverage on the board, because around about this same time Rachael had made it known to us that she had tendered her resignation as a mod. Then, I decided to have a look at the previous post activity of the existing mods, which highlighted the lack of presence and contribution from most of them (Widgey aside). So, I don't think the links were seen as beeing acceptable, the post simply wasn't looked at. The mods have lives to lives to live so I can understand if some of them get too pre-occupied with other things and as a result the forum duty is neglected. That's why I forwarded myself for a mod post, and if I feel I can no longer commit the time that is necessary to do the job properly then I will stand down as I think it would be the correct thing to do. I can see where you are coming from though.
Connector
Quote:
Not answers that have been constructive no. The fact that the last thread was just locked without allowing further discussion got right up my nose hence this one

I hope so too and if you need anything from me just shout...
Phil,

What I really want to know is, what is missing from this board that people want? I have already heard PMs mentioned, another is sub-forums. Are there other features that you feel would 'improve' the forum - in that the site will still be seen as an excellent resource for start-ups and budding entrepreneurs.