This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Connector
Wish I had XP

My better half has been moaning about wanting to put a tumble dryer where my office area is, and she figures I will spend more time with her If I got one. She also hates my big, ugly pc and the amount of space it takes (it's my pride and joy, a big powerful beast of a pc ).
So I go me a laptop this weekend, as close a spec as I can get and afford

Now I am going through the age old annoyance of transferring files, re-installing programmes (where have my microsoft office discs gone???), making everything how I want it. Forgot how much a hassle all that is, especially as now I have to get a wireless connection, and worse, I been lumbered with Windows Vista... God what a bad OS it is. My Laptop has a mind of it's own! XP wasn't perfect but it did it's job.
Anyone else hate doing the transfer?

WHAT'S YOUR PASSION IN LIFE?
Connector
I put XP on my new PC. Less headaches.
Connector
reboot into c:
format drive
reinstall xp

Vista, IMHO, is cack. I've installed, tested and sworn at it and come to the conclusion that it's about as production ready as I am prepared for North Pole Trekking expedition...
Connector
Love to do that but I don't have my copy of XP, at least can't find it... It comes into my head every time i'm installing something.

It took me 45 minutes to install my printer driver, because it was double installing, and kept freezing. Wouldn't mind there's nothing else on it!!!

It looks all pretty, but is a technological nightmare. Bless old Billy for trying, I can see what he wanted to make. just didn't happen....

Connector
It's worth going out and buying a copy of XP then...

My biggest headache was with my graphics cards. I have two ATI FireMV PCI cards which, according to ATI, are Vista approved.

Hunky dory except that when you install the drivers it only picks up one of the cards and gives an obscure error for the other one. After a load of googling I found that this was a recognised issue and they "were working on it"

No comment...
Connector
seriously considering it...

Connector
I've been using Vista for about a month now. No problems, very stable, and everything works fine!
Connector
Rich just out of interest is it fine now you have got used to it or did you just get along well?
Just curious, because I remember it's always the same when a new operating system comes out.
Maybe I will come to love it eventually, but right now it's a nightmare

Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by conneldinho
Rich just out of interest is it fine now you have got used to it or did you just get along well?
Just curious, because I remember it's always the same when a new operating system comes out.
Maybe I will come to love it eventually, but right now it's a nightmare
It took me a few days to get used to the things that have changed, like the file dialogs and the start menu, but i never really had any problems.

It's more secure than XP, and I really like the browsing by tags (like virtual folders) in Explorer.

Is there a specific problem you're having?
Connector
Just adapting to it, installing things is a nightmare. It seems to autorun things twice everytime i install things. Had so many errors from that

Entrepreneur
I had vista on my new laptop for about a week but in the end I just reformatted the disk and put XP pro back on.

I find XP so much easier and a lot more stable than vista
Connector
I havent really tried Vista, just seen it in PC shops etc but what is so bad, its worth going back to XP???
Connector
Well in my case the fact that supposedly supported cards are not actually supported at all is bad enough.

It looks nice enough and there's some natty features but the deployment IMO has been rushed...
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by stephen232
Ia lot more stable than vista
XP is no where near as stable as Vista!

I think it's getting a lot of bad press because manufacturers are chucking it on underpowered machines.
Maven
I never start using a new version of Windows until at least its first service pack has come out, and usually not until I have no choice but to switch. I paid for my 4gb of ram and I need it for running programs, not being hogged by the shiny windows on the stupid OS!