This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Hosting Prices

How much should I expect to pay per year to host a small website, no more than a couple of hundred hits per month.

I already have the domain (purchased with fashosts) and the website is built, but am not sure about the next step.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Cheers!
Connector
Hi,

You can get basic hosting from around آ£30.

Speak to Phil from http://www.Openmindhosting.co.uk and I'm sure he will be able to set you up in no time.

All the best

Martin
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by fredjames
How much should I expect to pay per year to host a small website, no more than a couple of hundred hits per month.

I already have the domain (purchased with fashosts) and the website is built, but am not sure about the next step.
Hi Fred,

You could host it for free or spend upward from £50 per year for proper business hosting, it all depends on your requirements.

If its a business website then you should steer clear of the free hosts as reliability will eventually become an issue.

Prior to purchasing ensure the prospective host will transfer in your domain without charge, or will let you just update the nameservers with your current registrar. We allow both on all new accounts making them as flexible as possible. Order online and when paying via debit or credit card we can usually have your account/server setup within 2 hours (so long as you complete your order before 4pm Monday to Friday - ordering a dedicated server: please check we have the type of server you require available on a rack before ordering).

Good luck with your new web site, I hope it goes well for you
Connector
I use phil at openmind to host my site and email and he is always been able to help when i have had the odd hiccup! Much prefer that to the faceless companies I have used in the past where you get passed about 3 million times and never speak to the same person twice.

The control panel he uses called Helm is actually pretty easy to use yourself even for non-techies like me so you don't need to bother him too much to administer the site yourself.

I cant remember how much I pay but its not much, £30 or so per annum as opposed to per month as I have been quoted!

Regards,
Connector
Thanks Guys

Fred, our Windows Home plan will be fine for you to start up on: http://www.openmindhosting.co.uk/uk-...eb-hosting.cfm

It offers enough space and bandwidth for a small/growing site and if you need to change plans later in the year you can just by dropping us a line or calling.

Our servers are located down in London, one of the main hubs for the UK, so you will get a fast reliable service for your site and you are set-up immediately after placing your order. If you have any problems re-pointing your domain then we will be happy to do it for you.

If you've got any questions then please do give me a call free on 0800 047 0414
Connector
Reliability as I stated is paramount for a business website, Sorry Phil, visit:
http://www.openmindhosting.co.uk/uk-...eb-hosting.cfm
and it returns the error:
-------------------------------------------------------------
Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.

JRun closed connection.

And I tried it several times!
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by seiretto
Reliability as I stated is paramount for a business website, Sorry Phil, visit:
http://www.openmindhosting.co.uk/uk-...eb-hosting.cfm
and it returns the error:
Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.

JRun closed connection.

And I tried it several times!
Thanks for pointing that out Dave, we are actually restarting the CF server, it does happen occasionally
Connector
Hi Phil,

Good see you are back up again. A simple ping would not have alerted you to the issue with Jrun, add an alert for the service so you know about it before anyone else does in the future ;-)

I fail to see/find any availability stats for your site?

A business website needs to be up and available at least 99% of the time, you can check the last 5 years of our availability stats on our front page:
http://www.seiretto.com/
And check our status too with recent history:
http://www.seiretto.com/Support/status/
Connector
Dave with the greatest respect you really don't need to teach me how to suck eggs.

The CF server on that particular web server, we have several by the way, was automatically restarted by our server monitoring service which sweeps well over 150 services every 2 minutes which provides our customers with a hell of a lot of piece of mind.

We're talking about one service here on one server which doesn't even have clients sites on so the impact on other users is zero.

If you have any other concerns about our service, although I'm not really sure why you should, then please do call me.
Connector
Come on Dave you have been around long enough to know Phil offers a decent service and no amount of sniping is going to undermine that. I'm sure you offer a decent service too but I don't think you are going to make too many friends posting in this manner.

Regards,
Connector
its not good for business me thinks, when potential customers can see you sniping at someone else, so know i should not get involved but from a customer point of view is a mighty good point.
Connector
Sorry everyone, so you are saying I should ignore a broken site!
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by seiretto
Sorry everyone, so you are saying I should ignore a broken site!
no not at all but im sure you could have contacted phil directly through his website or email thats all
Connector
FWIW I host around 25 sites with Phil and his service is rock solid, never had an issue (touch wood) with downtime or email services. Support is friendly and knowledgeable and he's always available to chat over any technical issues, much better service than from one of the 'big boys' i.e Fast Hosts.

Just my 2p but if you're looking for a decent host, go with Phil.

Steve
Connector
Thanks Steve, the fivers in the post