This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Hairdressers please read!!!

hi im marie. im 23 and live in birmingham with my two young sons. i dont have a business at the moment but am now doing as much homework as possible with the intention of opening a hair salon in the near future.

Anybody who has experience owning or managing a salon or as a mobile hairdresser i would be extremely grateful for any advice!!!
Connector
Hi miriem,

I ain't a hair dresser, but I am a mobile massage therapist and personal trainer. Slightly different trade but same area of lifestyle.
If I was to start again, I would not spend anywhere near as much as I have, and would get as many leaflets as I could distributed, get some advertising on my car, and try to get as many friends and family under your belt of clients....

Feel free to email me about any help

WHAT'S YOUR PASSION IN LIFE?
Maven
my ex has a salon, which I helped him to start up... not that i'm a hairdresser, but in my experience it was rather pricey to start up a working salon, employing staff (which were always a nightmare), paying the rent and rates etc... whilst you're only just establishing a client base.

If its an option and you're happy to work that way, I'd stay on the mobile hairdressing side for as long as possible - there is some really good money to be made from that - without all the overheads. Then maybe move into launching a salon, if you keep it local, at least you'll have a good potential client base already built up.

My sister in law now is also a hairdresser - she works mobile and has to turn business down now she's soooo busy.

I would advise very basic leaflet drop to your local area to get you off to a good start.

Gem