This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Legalities?

What would the legalities be if I were to set up a cleaning business but only used self employed cleaners who would have their own insurance?

Obviously I would need to be covered for insurance for the offices, but where would I stand if a cleaner mucked up someones carpet?

Hope someone can help
Thanks

Connector
As I understand it, you are only respsible if they muck the carpet up, and it was with some faulty equpment that you supplied the contractor to work with.

If it was their neglect, then as a self employed person, they should be aware that they have the responsiblity of that.

I know many businesses in my industry that work this way. People have gone to make claims on the companies, but they have simply pushed the claim onto the contractor. I assume you could do the same....

WHAT'S YOUR PASSION IN LIFE?
Connector
Given the wages of Cleaners isn't much, I doubt they will provide insurance themselves.

I also believe if you employ someone in a task which they do everyday - under your orders - and to your hours, means they're not Self-Employed in the eyes of the law.
Connector
I agree with martin about the insurance issue. Just out of curiosity What are you looking to do?

WHAT'S YOUR PASSION IN LIFE?