This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Tyler
Domain Name - Any thoughts?

Hi All,

I came across these two domains by chance recently, and was very suprised to find that they were available. Now I often find myself buying a random domain name that I think sounds good, then going off it as time goes on, but I've had these a bit now and still think they sound great! I just wondered if anyone else had any thoughts?

The domains are:
www.letrite.com
www.letrite.co.uk

Cheers,
Tyler
Connector
They are nice, but I wouldn't say they are "golden", not quite sure what you'd put onto those domains?
Quote:
Originally posted by babyben
They are nice, but I wouldn't say they are "golden", not quite sure what you'd put onto those domains?
a online property letting company maybe? I personally wouldn't say golden either, but may def be of interest to someone.

Tyler
I was thinking they would work well for a lettings agency looking for new name / brand, or a startup etc?
Connector
I see no value in them unless you have a direct plan to open a letting agency. Even then it's not the greatest name as it can be confused with LetRight (trust me I know how many people type in Just1uk)

Free Business Advertising | UK Business Directory
Local Business Directory | UK Business Directory | Free PC Tools
Lifetime Links | Cooking Recipes | Dessert recipes | 10,000 directories
Connector
Unless you are building a website just for us lot in Yarkshire, then I don't think letrite would ring a bell with anyone, it wouldn't be rite gud.
Entrepreneur
No searches for the phrase in any of the search engines so no value there.

There is also a company already registered in the UK as Let Right. Interesting, they own neither the .com or the .co.uk. LetRight.com is some US furniture store and the .co.uk is being held by a domainer.

Unfortunately, LetRight.com doesn't appear to get much traffic so you won't get much, if any, typo traffic. Typo traffic can be great - futurebazar.com makes about $800 a month with a parked page.

As Just1UK mentioned, if someone tried to run a letting site on LetRite.com they would end up sending a lot of business to LetRight.com. Not a good move.

Potential buyers? Discarding the tiny chance that someone with deep pockets suddenly decides LetRite is a great name for their letting business and fails to do their competitor research, you're probably hoping the owners of letright.com or the UK LetRight business will pick this up. Chances of this are slim I think. You could buy it and then approach them.

On the positive side, its a short .com and that always helps. Your best bet is to park it, add it to your portfolio and move on to something else. In the future it may turn out to be worth something, so it's probably worth being speculative for the price of a few quid.

Unfortunately, like others said, it's not a golden domain you could register and then flip for a few grand.
Entrepreneur
Yea,

I always try to avoid domains that can be confused. If someone told me to go to "LetRite.com" to look at house, I'd end up typing in "LetRight.com".
Connector
I'd like to know how much money www.youtube.co.uk makes! They must have a hefty number of visitors with that domain!
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by RSS
I'd like to know how much money www.youtube.co.uk makes! They must have a hefty number of visitors with that domain!
probably not much.
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by kinster
probably not much.
I actually think they will make a fair bit.

They currently have an Alexa ranking of 102,336 which is pretty good for what I expect is primarily type-in traffic.

I read an interesting legal dispute the other day involving play.com and the play.co.uk domain which was owned by a third party. In 2005 it was thought that the visitors to play.co.uk exceeded 100,000 in September.

I suppose that many would maybe realise their mistake and go to .com without clicking sponsored links but I'm sure there will be nice wee income stream from youtube.co.uk

Jamie Miller
Active Sports Ltd
Distributors of Powerball
How Fast Can You Spin It....?
Connector
It's funny you should ask that because I accidentally typed www.youtbe.com into the browser earlier today and low and behold it was an actual site. Funny thing is that's not the first time I have made that exact same mistake and it wont be the last either!
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by JamieM
I actually think they will make a fair bit.

They currently have an Alexa ranking of 102,336 which is pretty good for what I expect is primarily type-in traffic.

I read an interesting legal dispute the other day involving play.com and the play.co.uk domain which was owned by a third party. In 2005 it was thought that the visitors to play.co.uk exceeded 100,000 in September.

I suppose that many would maybe realise their mistake and go to .com without clicking sponsored links but I'm sure there will be nice wee income stream from youtube.co.uk
they might get people going there, but I don't think 'surfer's will actually do much on that site (at the mo).
Entrepreneur
Well, YouTune.com makes about $300 a month parked. YouTube.co.uk - at least a high 4 figure sum a month I'd say, probably a lot more. You could definitely earn a living just by owning it.

Kinster - Not sure how well that particular parked page performs either BUT people always seem to just click on stuff. I could quite easily see the average user thinking "oh the videos have to be here somewhere" and clicking around for ages earning the owners a tidy sum.

To us it's pretty obvious that it's a parked page but to 99% of other internet users its just the UK version of YouTube, initially at least.
Connector
You would have thought that the owner might have made a bit more effort with such a good domain, links to funny video sites could be sold for a large sum each month as well as better more targetted advertising.