This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Some starting up advice please!

Hello

This forum was recommended to me, so this is my first post - hello!

I was after some advice on setting up my business if you don't mind.

I am currently employed full-time and on maternity leave (but not earning anything as I'm on additional maternity leave). My end-goal is to be able to earn enough money from my own business (which is in a totally different area to my employers and therefore non-competing) so that I can eventually leave my employer.

If I build my business up slowly, maybe getting a couple of clients over the course of the next 6 months, can I see how things go and therefore not have to register as self-employed and just declare any additional income in my self-assessment form at the end of the tax year?

And if I take that route, should I keep a record of all incomings/outgoings?

Thanks (sorry if I sound like I don't know what I'm doing!!)
Connector
Re: Some starting up advice please!

Quote:
Originally posted by twistarella
If I build my business up slowly, maybe getting a couple of clients over the course of the next 6 months, can I see how things go and therefore not have to register as self-employed and just declare any additional income in my self-assessment form at the end of the tax year?

And if I take that route, should I keep a record of all incomings/outgoings?
Firstly - hello and welcome!

Secondly, if you are working self-employed even on a part-time basis you MUST register as self-employed with HM Revenue and Customs. You are liable to a 100 fine if you don't do so within the first 3 months - and the process is very simple - think it took me less than 10 minutes on the phone.

Dependant on your earnings in self-employment you maybe about to get exemption from paying NI contributions, and therefore at the end of the tax period will only pay income tax on your profit - so registering as self employed is just letting the government know what you are doing! (and they like to know that! )

BusinessLink is a superb initial resource for many of the questions I think you will have about starting up: www.businesslink.gov.uk
Thanks!

So, if have to register as self-employed, even if I'm not actually earning anything from my business just yet?
Connector
surely she does not have to register as self employed yet as she is employed and researching a new business, would she not just have to register if she quit her full time job and/or started to earn money from her business.
Maven
You have to register as soon as you setup your business, if you're not earning anything through it yet mention that as well when you register
Connector
Twisterella I know who your are but it'll be out little secret lol (hope i've picked the right person now and not looking like a freak so I'll give you a keyword - fluffy??)

X
Wooohooo! Yes 'tis me - fluffy indeed!
Right, I just spoke to HM Revenue & Customs Self-Employed helpline and they said I don't need to register as self-employed until I actually start earning money from my business and even then I have 3 months from that date to do so.