This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Maven
Feedback on 3D advertising tool

Hi guys,

We've recently done some work for a student group in Cambridge and would like to have some feedback.

Basically they want to travel from UK to India with their tuk-tuks (autorickshaws)... So we've made an interactive 3D model to help them selling the car adverts online:

http://www.tracingtea.org/model.html

You'd probably think it's another rip of milliondollarhomepage but do you think it will work?

Cheers,

Bill.

Connector
I'm very impressed you have made it so that potential advertisers can apply their adverts to the model before they buy the advertising, well done! (my company, www.abstractworlds.com, used to be into 3D, so I'm aware of some of challenges involved in doing this).

The main differences between your site and the million dollar home page are:

1. the million dollar home page, because it was a first and was well marketed, got a lot of PR and a lot of interest, people knew it was going to be talked about for a long time, and that's why people wanted to advertise on it

2. the million dollar home page provided normal HTML A tag links to advertiser's websites, which may have attracted some advertisers because of the perceived SEO benefit of the inbound link. This is something you could easily address by providing HTML links too.

3. the million dollar home page showed all the adverts upfront without any user navigation required. You could do this too by getting the model to auto-rotate to show off all the adverts, so visitors don't have to work out how the rotation interface works

Do you have access to any stats showing the current availability of Java for the browsers used by the general public? I know it used to be bad after Microsoft decided to stop shipping Java with their operating system a few years back, but I wonder what the situation is like now?

Freebies: year planner (pdf), singer songwriter (album)
Guru
my stats show over 98% with java enabled browsers - my site hasn't been up for very long so I'm not sure if this effects accuracy.
Connector
Thanks cmrule. How do you check in your web stats which browsers have the Java plugin. I noticed you have Javascript in your webpages so it may be easy to detect which browsers have Javascript enabled, but I'm not sure how the Java plugin can be detected without placing a Java applet on the page (unless you are doing some fancy Javascript sniffing).

Freebies: year planner (pdf), singer songwriter (album)
Connector
my computer crashed when loading it, lol.
Own a pet in Yorkshire? Click here
Connector
Hi Bill,

I don't feel there is any relation to MDHP to be honest. It is more like selling traditional advertising space on the vehicle.

I think the concept is great but I am not sure it will make a huge difference to whether people/companies want to advertise or not. Maybe a little as it will help them to visualise exactly how their advertisement will look but I can't imagine this will greatly influence any decision. It seems a fairly small project with low advertising costs and I suspect any of the advertisers will be showing support more as a good will gesture than a grand marketing campaign.

The 3D feature may be more appropriate for bigger projects.

PS Do you still have a visual of a guitar? Can you post or email a link to it as I'd like to show it to a friend. Thanks.

Jamie Miller
Active Sports Ltd
Distributors of Powerball
How Fast Can You Spin It....?
Guru
edit: Sorry just re-read your post awebapart - my mistake, your right I can only see which browsers have java enabled in their browsers not the plugin. Sorry for the confusion!
Maven
Thanks for all the feedbacks.

There are stats of percentages of PCs that has flash or java:

http://www.adobe.com/products/player...s/flashplayer/

I think these guys are getting a documentary done on their expeditions so hopefully the PR would help them sell.

I thought I might use this to approach taxi advertising companies but would like to know if you think this tool is useful or not.

Nick, out of curiosity how much memory (or virtual memory) have you got on your computer?

Bill.
p.s. The guitar is quite an old example but we'll upload it and send a link to you Jamie
Connector
I love this concept. I haven't seen it anywhere before now either. I doubt this is the first time it's been done but it would be wise to find out if it is and protect the concept somehow. I can see plenty of uses for this. Well done. Good job.
Connector
A bit OT, but just to wish everyone the best of luck with this! I love Tuk Tuk's!

In thailand, three of us went on the back of one through Bangkok, and the axle on the Tuk Tuk snapped in half, and the whole thing was about to capsize, so instead of letting us out to get another tuk tuk, the driver just stood up, and leaned to the left, out of the side of the tuk tuk, as far as he could, to counter balance it. It was an adventure to say the least.

It'll be an amazing jouney, and I hope it all goes well!
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by RSS
the whole thing was about to capsize
They aren't meant to go in water.
Connector
Quote:
They aren't meant to go in water.
lol!! touche! :P
Connector
Java applets make me cry. It locked up Firefox, and I had to end the process before I even saw what it was about. 512mb ram.
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by BillT
Thanks for all the feedbacks.

There are stats of percentages of PCs that has flash or java:

http://www.adobe.com/products/player...s/flashplayer/

I think these guys are getting a documentary done on their expeditions so hopefully the PR would help them sell.

I thought I might use this to approach taxi advertising companies but would like to know if you think this tool is useful or not.

Nick, out of curiosity how much memory (or virtual memory) have you got on your computer?

Bill.
p.s. The guitar is quite an old example but we'll upload it and send a link to you Jamie
1 GB
Own a pet in Yorkshire? Click here