This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Entrepreneur
Stuck!!!

Hi all,

I have been a member of this forum for a while and come here often trying to pickup ideas and get my thoughts together as to what I want to do with my career. So don't be too harsh on me but do give me some honest advice!

I have a degree in IT ( doesn't mean too much now a days anyway) and IT was my passion (no I am not a geek) and since graduating I have been working for a fairly big firm.

However as some of you may recall from my previous posting, I am very frustrated with the IT market and there is no end to the current slump and my employer has stopped all pay rises etc etc so no more money! And I am just tired of working for someone else!!!!

I know I want to be my own boss but the fact of the matter is the only thinkg I know how to do at the moment is IT. I have been sales assitant before so I know how to sell....well I know how to talk up a product.....but I just cannot think of anything with IT that I can do which is not already available.....

Hardware shop (well to many out there), Software shops ( don't think there is the demand for it), Web Design ( too competitive) etc etc!

Do you see ....I feel completely stuck!!!

Any advice???

Many thanks for reading my rant!!
Maven
How about providing hardware and IT support to businesses? For X pounds a month, you could provide your clients with relevant hardware and IT support when they require it. In effect they rent the systems from you. You could also provide freelance IT support to other clients when required and charge per site visit.
How about database solutions? I know for a fact that there are many industries where businesses use bespoke databases rather than Access to do all of their order processing, invoicing, accounting etc. If you can program using c++ or whatever, you could be well away.

Hope this helps or at least inspires you in some way!
Entrepreneur
Thanks for the reply...

For support work to work, there is a need to have more than one person so as I am on my own, I think that may be difficult but by no means impossible but issues like taking calls if I am on call, what happens when there is more than one incident at the same time, I would be stuck.

If I could get couple more people, it could work, but this means I would need to give up my job (although I am frustrated with my current job....ITS PRETTY EASY...NO PRESSURE ON ME OR ANYTHING).

With regards to Programming.....its something I never chose to do...or learn as I was never interested in doing programming for a living....Also I will need to learn C++ and thats no easy task...

Selling hardware to Companies, I have thought about for quite a while....again judging if there is a need in my local area is difficult although there is not any company I know of who does this. There are retail shops, but they don't specifically target businesses. Setting up network's, servers, printers, etc etc....I am more than capable of doing that.

Again I think the main issue I may have is setting something up along with my day job...and then maybe get someone else to work with me part time basis....start small with selling hardware and branch out to businesses.

Well I'll keep thinking, thanks for the input Carlos and if anyone else has some ideas....I would love to hear them.

Thanks
I had an idea a while back for which I won the best elavator pitch at my universities entrepreneurs club (now graduated). The only problem is that it is not a small scale thing, would need a lot of investment and a lot of expertise.

If you know how to:
Set up your own ISP and e-mail service.
set up big hardware (industrial scale)
do lots of different types of coding
and build very complicated demanding systems

you might be able to help with this.

At the moment though, I am looking at setting up a fashion company though (see my thread) so I am not sure if I really want to commerciallise on this idea of mine right now.
Entrepreneur
djg199

That demands lots of money....and I don't have that sort of money. The problem with IT is, its such a saturated market which ever way you look at it....but as always is the case if your better than the next man, you should be o.k.

Programming is one area that normally is in demand but although I have some knowledge I don't think it interestes me as much as opening a business with it. Also getting enough good programmers....thats a challenge in itself and good ones demand lots of cash!

I am also thinking of other stuff I can do with the use of IT....but its difficult!!!
Maven
IT Business Start Up

Hi,

It seem the only option open to you which doesnt require much financial outlay is the IT Training / Home Tutoring business. I know from local experience this part of the IT sector is really taking off.

If you need any more assistance please feel free to email me with your thoughts & ideas.

Regards

Gareth
Connector
How about some form of IT consulant? Just as Carlos has mentioned above. How are you with the various databases? (Oracle..etc) I have a few friends that are freelance database developers who are doing extremly well.

Not sure if your IT degree covers databases, but it's well worth looking into. General web sites will have MsSQL and/ or MySQL for the backend. You will find that many Blue Chip companies will use something like Oracle and that's where you could capitalise.

Good luck
Jay
Design R Web Solutions
Entrepreneur
I have been thinking about learning Databases....BUT I am so bewildered with IT that I am even contemplating getting out and setting up something completely different....

anyone know the feeling?
Entrepreneur
Techie_Man - Whcih part of IT do you most enjoy? Answers this and you can build your own business on it.
Entrepreneur
hhhhmmmmm....

I used to enjoy Technical Support.....my other hobby is Video Editing...which I have been contemplating recently....

VHS to DVD and maybe other video editing projects (wedding, promos etc).
Connector
Quote:
VHS to DVD and maybe other video editing projects (wedding, promos etc).
Now there's an idea. Most people these days have DVD players and I know most would rather have DVDs of there big day or party...etc

This maybe worth looking into. The initial equipment may be quite expensive, but you could easily recoup this. You are proberly going to need Apple Mac based hardware/ software. These links may help: http://www.creativevideo.co.uk and http://www.smartdv.co.uk

Jay
Design R web Solutions
Entrepreneur
I didn't mention this earlier but I am part way through...I have bought a DVD Writer recently...and I have a Pinnacle capture card coming my way....

The only problem is how much to charge and whethere it will take off. I know there arent many people around my area doing this but as you say most people will prefer to have DVD rather than VHS and coupled with VHS deteriates in quality after about 10 years....so you'd rather have that special moment on DVD....

and to top it all...I actually enjoying doing video on PC.

Any other ideas that I can pursue with Digital Video...do let me know